Living the Martial Arts Journey

MR. SERNA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My name is Mr. Serna I have been training and teaching ShaolinJKD for 20 years plus.

I hope to help and support martial arts in all its forms

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Mr. Serna, hope you enjoy it. :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Mr. Serna, great to have ya here! Never heard of ShaolinJKD, sounds fascinating! Hope you enjoy your time here :)

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
My name is Mr. Serna I have been training and teaching ShaolinJKD for 20 years plus.

I hope to help and support martial arts in all its forms
Hello Mr. Serna, In my much younger years, I did and taught JKD, but I went back to Wing Chung. I have been teaching for 41 years, and it is nice to see more teachers here. I hope there are those that can share in your experiences and knowledge, personal knowledge and experience can sometimes be the best teaching. I hope you enjoy the discussions here.

OP
MR. SERNA

MR. SERNA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words.

I too like the idea that senior rank martial artists and business owners wish to share in their experiences.

I look forward to more interaction with you.

Mr. Serna

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will worn you, sometimes you will run into the younger generation that are taught differently then us old folgies lol, their ideas and concept differs from ours, and that tends to turn into long debates or arguments. A lot of the younger generations tend to get too technical and follow views they find on the internet. I

OP
MR. SERNA

MR. SERNA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have had young students in the past that wished to debate what they would see on YouTube and training videos,

I would explain that there is nothing wrong with you tube training. To get the fine details of experience and hands on training is much better.

The one thing I explain to my students, if you train incorrect you can hurt your body so train smart and correct. Correct body position correct mindset, and correct spirit.

Mr. Serna

OP
MR. SERNA

MR. SERNA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes Sensei Seth, is excellent!! Indeed.

Martial arts is a very personal thing, any one style may not be the style for you.

Sense Seth knows his stuff. He is a martial arts journalist and uses self deprication to save face for both parties. In doing so it eases any disrespect to another martial artist.

And that is why he is the man on You Tube.

To be clear you tube training in and of itself is a great way to introduce fellow martial artists to the art. The key is to see these martial artists and decide what might work for you.

Nothing beats one on one training with your instructor or your training partner.

Mr. Serna

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes Sensei Seth, is excellent!! Indeed.

Martial arts is a very personal thing, any one style may not be the style for you.

Sense Seth knows his stuff. He is a martial arts journalist and uses self deprication to save face for both parties. In doing so it eases any disrespect to another martial artist.

And that is why he is the man on You Tube.

To be clear you tube training in and of itself is a great way to introduce fellow martial artists to the art. The key is to see these martial artists and decide what might work for you.

Nothing beats one on one training with your instructor or your training partner.

Mr. Serna
I am planning on doing a few videos for here and Youtube, one issue I wanted to hit on with Youtube is the reviews or comparison of martial art forms and martial artist, there are some really ridiculous reviews and comparisons. I also have seen a fair amount of postings about the bigger and stronger man will always win, and very few people do not understand that traditional Wushu is a very good fighting form as well as can help improve ones speed and grace.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will worn you, sometimes you will run into the younger generation that are taught differently then us old folgies lol, their ideas and concept differs from ours, and that tends to turn into long debates or arguments. A lot of the younger generations tend to get too technical and follow views they find on the internet. I
The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
And of course, none of that was ever true about us, while we walked 10 miles to school, uphill, through 4 feet of snow. Both ways.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figured that, by now everyone knew this. Are there still any English speakers who aren't aware?

I didn't give it an attribution, or even quotation marks. That's because it's shorthand now for the whole, exceptionally long, debate about how every generation pisses and moans about the one which follows. They're lazy, entitled, and less manly. They didn't have to endure what we did. It's all kinda summed up in this not-so-inside joke.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And of course, none of that was ever true about us, while we walked 10 miles to school, uphill, through 4 feet of snow. Both ways.
Against the wind. Barefoot. Carrying my brother on my back. Best day of my life was when I found barbed wire to wrap my bare feet in for extra traction on the ice.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I figured that, by now everyone knew this. Are there still any English speakers who aren't aware?
Well ....I speak English and I'm not very aware.

Oh and regarding the quote, I thought it might have been some Victorian rubbish. I didn't recognize that it went all the way back to Plato until I clicked on Mograph's link. Then I read a little further and found out that my first instincts were right after all. It was written satirically in 1907 so technically an Edwardian spoof of pompous Victorian attitudes.

I think I had a high school teacher back in the 70's who used that quote, and I'd totally forgotten it. Now I'm a teacher, so I guess you could say the same things about teachers these days. Except the part about loving luxury. No way. Not on what they pay me, anyway.

So back to the thread now. Welcome to MT Donald. Looking forward to your posts! BTW, no disrespect intended, but we aren't a very formal bunch here. If I call you "Mr." I'd be putting you in to the same age category as my dad, and he's 97. :)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions