Legends of the Martial Arts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you beleive legends like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris,Ed parker Sr. and the rest of the legends, will they still have there names eched into the records books and still be looked upon as Hero's and roll models?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you beleive legends like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris,Ed parker Sr. and the rest of the legends, will they still have there names eched into the records books and still be looked upon as Hero's and roll models?

I do....I've seen their pictures up new dojos where the head instructor is in is late 20's..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would say yes. Considering what many of these people have done for the Martial Arts, I'd say that they serve as an inspiration for many people.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say yes. Considering what many of these people have done for the Martial Arts, I'd say that they serve as an inspiration for many people.

Mike but if the UFC is the big dog on the street now why would the younger generation look at them as Legends and not people like Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz ans Matt Hughes?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike but if the UFC is the big dog on the street now why would the younger generation look at them as Legends and not people like Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz ans Matt Hughes?

Is it the big dog for everyone though? Some people love it, some people hate it and some may be split down the middle. I suppose another way of looking at it is like this: Its a flavor of the month. In the 60's and 70's there was kickboxing and the likes of Chuck Norris, Benny the Jet, Bill Wallace, etc. In the 80's there was the Ninja craze. In the 90's we have UFC/MMA.

This is not to say that the people you mention, ie: Matt, Chuck, etc. havent done anything for the arts. I think that the UFC opened the eyes of many people. I don't think that people should forget their roots though. Give credit where its due. I'll use myself as an example. I started training in the Villari organization. I moved on, to what I feel is something much better. I no longer have anything to do with that original art. But, I credit it for getting me started on my Martial Arts journey. :)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, speaking as a member of the young-ish generation, both Chuck Liddell and Ed Parker are big inspirations/heroes.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think for the next 15 years or so, yes Bruce Lee, Norris and a few others will still be highly regarded.
But hey, I am a member of the "Cult of Draeger" and have allways looked to the past of whatever I was into.

Hell, in the late 80s I wa inot Thrash metal, but I was a big Motorhead fan, because they started it way back when.

Takeda Sogaku,Jack Dempsey,Gene Lebell, Bruce Lee, Dan Inosanto,Norris, Draeger, Joe Lewis, Mike Stone, Jim Harrison, Benny the Jet, Jeff Speakmen, Rickson Gracie, Randy Couture, Eddie Bravo, BJ Penn and all people of note who to me are Legends.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Superfoot, can't forget him. He's phenomenal to this day.
Richard Norton, Don Wilson, or the newer guys now showing that same spirit like St. Pierre. I think humility, honor and dedication are timeless.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The legends of the arts will remain legends, nothing can change that. Some will fade from memory as new champions are found, but that's normal. Some will re-emerge from the shadows of history.

What we may see is that, as we investigate MA history and the lives of the legends, they become less grandiose and more human. This will actually allow people to identify with them more completely.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
With legends and history, so much depends on who chooses the legends to recite and who writes the history.

An interesting sub question is whether a master will be remembered as legend or as history.

Whether these champions and innovators deserve to be remembered is a totally different question from if they will be remembered.

I would say that each of you, in your schools and with your friends and associates, will play a role in deciding this.

bmcgonag

White Belt
Reaction score
I think there will always be great fighters that are talked about well after their retirement, Mike Tyson, Mohammed Ali, Ed Parker Sr., and no doubt that the UFC top guys will join those names, but as for fame, it's hard to beat the level of Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and so many others.

I think it's the level of fame from exposure in multiple arenas; the Martial arts world, but also the movie world, tv world, and so on. That's where some of the UFC guys would benefit. Go into arenas that get their names out there in more general arenas so that people learn about them, about MMA, UFC, and so on.

Just my opinion,

Best,

Brian

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These guys will always be remembered. They are a part of Martial Arts history, same as Babe Ruth, Ted Williams etc are a part of Baseball history and still are well known.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of them will be. But who remembers The Black Ajax, Mendoza the Jew or James Figg? Who was Gama? Does anyone remember the really great Judo players of fifty years ago?

A few will be remembered. Most of the "legends" of today will be the historical footnotes of tomorrow. Their legends will be mixed in with others'. Eventually they will all fade backwards into the past. That's just how it works.

Latest Discussions