Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lawyer: Alcohol testing device is racist

By DANIEL TEPFER
Staff writer
Updated: 11/20/2008 12:17:25 AM EST
CONN Post
EXCERPT:

A lawyer representing a man arrested in Fairfield for drunken driving says the state's breathalyzers discriminate against black people.
"They are KKK in a box," said lawyer James O. Ruane of Shelton. "We really have some racist machines here."
Ruane represents Tyrone Brown, 40, of Burritt Avenue, Norwalk, who was arrested April 9 by the state police on Interstate 95 in Fairfield and charged with drunken driving.
A breath analysis administered at state police Troop G in Bridgeport found Brown had a blood-alcohol content of 0.188. The legal limit is 0.08.
END EXCERPT
Read the full article to see how this jackass attorney uses a racist argument to advance his idiotic idea that machines are racist.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So...would it be safe to say that the breathalyzer also discriminates against people with asthma, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So...would it be safe to say that the breathalyzer also discriminates against people with asthma, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis?

SHHH!! That doesn't have the same emotional impact as "KKK In A Box" ;)

I'd be more sympathetic about the 3% difference if the dude didn't blow a BAC that was 235% of the legal limit.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeebus Cripes.

So ... if his lungs are 3% smaller than a white males, then would his breatholizer test result be reduced by 3%? If so, that's 0.18236 ... which is still drunk!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
"KKK In A Box" sounds like the name of some awful toy that no child would want to find under the tree on Christmas morning.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
They aren't based on "lung capacity" this is just a red herring. What if I'm a white male midget? The machine works well because I'm white? What a crock of crap!!!

Here's an even easier solution...don't drink and drive PERIOD! Than you won't have to worry about how they test your blood alcohol.

I know of several officers in our dept. that just get the search warrant for a blood draw no matter what because the reults are VERY hard to dispute.

Latest Discussions