Latest Fred Phelps outrage and wise order from Camp Lejeune cmdr.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fred Phelps hit bottom long ago. But today he got out the shovel and started digging. He and his "church" will be demonstrating at Camp Lejeune to celebrate the death of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach. Ms. Lauterbach was seven months pregnant when she was murdered, allegedly by Cpl. Cesar Armando Laurean who has admitted to burying her body in his yard.

Base Commander Adele Hodges issued the following order:

“Do not attempt to engage in any verbal taunting or physical altercation with this group,” ... “We believe they want to generate additional publicity by provoking such a confrontation. Do not help them in this effort by engaging in any provocative behavior.”

It was the right order, of course. But it's kind of a pity...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe its just me and most Marines wouldn't think this way, but if I shared a brotherhood with a bunch of folks and I was a "former" marine, I may consider some form of civil disobedience. As in, I'd gather a bunch of mates and kick some ****ing ***...

Just a thought...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the link:
“God hates the U.S. Marines,” the group said in a statement.
[...]
The fundamentalist church has received national attention in recent years for picketing military funerals, claiming that God is punishing the U.S. for allowing homosexuality.

What a lousy day for Kaith to post this announcement. It leaves me with nothing to say. :(

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From the link:

What a lousy day for Kaith to post this announcement. It leaves me with nothing to say. :(

Well, I still think that still leaves something to say and that is this..."religion" encourages this kind of anti-rational thought. The moment it just becomes "okay" for an individual to believe anything they want AND be protected from any sort of rational criticism, you are going to get wackos like this who twist all of this nonesense into further nonesense until it becomes completely unintelligible.

I am in firm agreement with Richard Dawkins when he states that irrational thought begets exponential irrational thought.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
This looks like a good time for the Mother of All Blanket Parties. You are going to burn, Fred, you hellbound piece of dog ****.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I am outraged yet again at this group being associated with the moniker "Christians" I will take great solace in knowing that the Patriot Guard will most likely squash this demonstration with a counter demo of their own.

GO PG!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I still think that still leaves something to say and that is this..."religion" encourages this kind of anti-rational thought. The moment it just becomes "okay" for an individual to believe anything they want AND be protected from any sort of rational criticism, you are going to get wackos like this who twist all of this nonesense into further nonesense until it becomes completely unintelligible.

I am in firm agreement with Richard Dawkins when he states that irrational thought begets exponential irrational thought.

The problem with that thinking is that Phelps doesnt speak for a majority of us any more than Bin Laden speaks for a Majority of Muslims. Every religion has its whackjobs, and I would have no problem if Pfred got a beatdown by the Marines or PG, although the PG lost some points in my mind when I saw their counter protest in D.C. and they were acting in a pretty Vile manner.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well at least we are in agreement that Phelps and his crew need a beat down real bad. :cheers:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1. "Religion" is not the encourager of this kind of irrational thought anymore than Atheism is. Insanity and Irrationality are the encouragers of this kind of irrational thought. This kind of bilge is equally appalling to those of us encumbered by "Religion."

2. It is already Okay for "an individual to believe anything they want AND be protected from any sort of rational criticism"...all that is required is that that person shut the hell up and keep it to themselves. It is when the same point of view is shared with the world that it becomes open fodder for those with the use of a fully functioning brain.

3. A person charismatic enough can start a cult based on the writings of Ernest Hemingway and wackos will carry out atrocities in the name of "The Old Man" or better yet, "Fish."

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
3. A person charismatic enough can start a cult based on the writings of Ernest Hemingway and wackos will carry out atrocities in the name of "The Old Man" or better yet, "Fish."

Its been done on at least one occasion by a Sci Fi novel...

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I will have to admit to a certain amount of prejudice against Christianity. That's not a good thing even if it's understandable given my background. I'm trying to overcome it. So when I say this, it isn't a reflexive defense of something I'm fond of. Fred Phelps is not a representative of Christianity. He worships an idol named "Fred Phelps". He would be a megalomaniac narcissist with a personality on the wrong side of the borderline no matter what religion he disgraced through his association. The man is lower than whale dung and less welcome than bacon cheeseburgers at a Bar Mitzvah in any company. Every religion is afflicted by them.

I can't think of any place in the Book, anyone's Book, that demands that the Faithful slander the defenseless dead and further distress the grieving mourners. But there are lines like:

4Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

and

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Sooner or later he'll tick off a whole crowd of someones with more grief than self control. But I don't think he's going to end up with a river of wine and 72 houris or a robe of honor and "welcome into the kingdom" for his martyrdom. He knows that the laws of probability guarantee it with enough trials. Putting yourself in harm's way like that just has to constitute suicide.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the link:

Phelps and his ilk don't belong to any branch of Christianity that I recognize as Christian. He's an attention seeking hate-monger and his actions are a stain on the religion as a whole, and he and his should be put up against a wall.
My opinion.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm very tired of Phelps and his "ilk" and unfortunately, attempts to isolate and limit his group fall short, IMHO. There are a lot more people like him saying different things, but just as crazy...dangerous. How easy would it be for some of these people or groups to assume power in some fashion and start to exert control over everyone's lives? How quickly could a christian taliban form?

Phelps isn't some isolated nut. He's the tip of the iceberg and he's surfaced because his actions are so far out there that they have now broke the surface. Meanwhile, the mass that he grew out of lurks just beneath the surface.

If you chip away Phelps, the berg will roll and a new crazy will rise to the surface...and maybe this one has a lot more mass behind it and isn't sticking way off in crazyland like Phelps.

These are just some of my pessimistic thoughts. I try and believe that people are smarter...