larry tatum

silvestre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello

i am new here but raining ED PARKER KENPO to 11 years in PORTUGAL, and i want to now , what do you think about MR. LARRY TATUM.

best regards

paulo silvestre

OP
S

silvestre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i want to know, if he is the real sucesor of MR. ED PARKER

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hello

i am new here but raining ED PARKER KENPO to 11 years in PORTUGAL, and i want to now , what do you think about MR. LARRY TATUM.

best regards

paulo silvestre

what do i think??? this reminds me of a saying...."if you know yourself, you know others" btw Mr Tatum is a very good friend:drinkbeer

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well,
Al Tracy says that Mr Tatum "moves like Ed used to"

so that counts for something.

he did the first kenpo video series, so thats something

No one really has anything bad to say about the guy, and in Kenpo, these days, that REALLY says something

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hello

best regards

paulo silvestre
I'll assume this is not a trolling question and give you my opinion of the man.

I've met and spoken with Larry many times. The man is not only very talented but a great human being. Among other things he has spent time with my kids and makes them feel like they are special (which they are of course, lol).

He's a top notch Martial Artist. I have some of his products. I even have a chi and meditation dvd from his wife Jill. A great couple, I can't say enough good things about them.

If I were a Kenpo guy Larry Tatum would be my instructor without a doubt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello

best regards

paulo silvestre

I met the man one time at a seminar. Certainly knows his Kenpo. Has spent alot of time, from what I hear, with Mr. Parker. Very down to earth and friendly. If I was in Ca. and was looking for a teacher in the Parker system, he'd certainly be on my list.

If you havent already, you should check out his site. He has a number or technique clips that he put online. Very informative.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention Clyde

he's got CLYDE for crying out loud, that alone means he wins......

heh heh

Oh yes..can't forget about Clyde. LOL! I've had many phone chats with him. Its been a while since I've spoken to him though.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I met Clyde in SoCal in the early 90's. Great guy, and in the hostile wilderness that is the "Web Site That Shall Not Be Named" where Kenpo is not thought very highly of, he holds his own

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
YOU are the real successor of Ed Parker! For that matter so am I, and anyone else who trains and develops their personal kenpo. so if you are looking for the annointed one, or next true king, etc. look no further...

but if you are interested in instruction, and have the opportunity to learn from Larry Tatum, don't hesitate... you will not be disappointed and your kenpo will never be the same.

and since Clyde's name seems to always come up, yeah... he is the real deal too.

pete

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I met Clyde in SoCal in the early 90's. Great guy, and in the hostile wilderness that is the "Web Site That Shall Not Be Named" where Kenpo is not thought very highly of, he holds his own

Very skillfully phrased, TF!
icon14.gif

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
For us of the Great Unwashed, who is Clyde?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clyde O'Bryant

he is a 7th under GM Tatum

he is loud, opinionated, and not above backing it up on the mat.

all in all, i love the guy

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mr. Parker had no successor, and if he did, per tradition it would have been his son. Larry Tatum is one of the few original 7th's under Ed Parker and an extremely talented kenpoist.

Although he has detractors like we all do, he ran the only school that Mr. Parker owned that made a profit before he passed. He also is not credited for producing and promoting some of the best known Kenpo Black Belts around, including people like Jeff Speakman, Dian Tanaka, Barbara Hale, Mohammad Tabatabai, Brian Hawkins, and a plethora of others.

Although he and Mr. Parker parted company from the IKKA through mutual agreement on less than favorable terms, nevertheless Larry Tatum's talent an accomplishments are significant before and after his tenure with Mr. Parker as an outstanding Kenpoists. There would no reason in my opinion why you shouldn't avail yourself of the opportunity to seek instruction from this man.

Kraiguar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had conversations with Mr. Parker in reference to Larry Tatum which were quite enlightening, yet the true gift that one can give to his teacher is a student who has attained mastery of the art.
Doc, you mentioned two in particular whom I do know Mr. Parker truly loved, Dian Tanaka and Barbra Hale. ~Peace and Blessings~

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should really read the Forum.
Sean
The whole forum? Or should I have just done a search for 'Clyde'? Since it was a reference that popped up in this particular thread, didn't really see a problem with asking for clarification. But if I've insulted your sensibilities with my ignorance, my apologies.

Or maybe we non-EPAK people should just stay off this section...?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The whole forum? Or should I have just done a search for 'Clyde'? Since it was a reference that popped up in this particular thread, didn't really see a problem with asking for clarification. But if I've insulted your sensibilities with my ignorance, my apologies.

Or maybe we non-EPAK people should just stay off this section...?
No worries KW. Clyde is old news and hasn't been mentioned much at all on this forum in a long time to the best of my knowledge. Or maybe he has and I should read the whole forum...
icon10.gif
. Anyways, I'm sure you can throw a name or two out there that Sean doesn't know.

Latest Discussions