Lajust socks -- stupid question

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stupid question time --

In preparation for impending regionals and then Nationals in June. I picked up the elctronic sensor socks for myself and my kids. Just got them in the mail yesterday. very nifty.

However, do these cosk go over the instep pad or do they replace the instep pad? I've not had a chance to use or see the electronic gear in action, so I don't know.

Peace,
Erik

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use them in place of. Just get your foot taped to your liking and place the sock over the tape. If you use the instep with the sock you will find it very difficult to score.

Just my .02

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool. I was afraid of that. Now I have to buy some new shin pads (we all have the instep/shin pad combo).

Thanks for the info.

Peace,
Erik

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool. I was afraid of that. Now I have to buy some new shin pads (we all have the instep/shin pad combo).

Thanks for the info.

Peace,
Erik
No problem. I thought WTF would not let you use those combo pads any more.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
They were fine last year at nationals. Haven't heard they're on the bad gear list (like foot gloves).

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I understand the rules you cannot use the socks over anything more than 2 layers of tape. At least that is what was explained to me at this year's US Open.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have had ours for 1 year and used them 6 times no degradation so far??

Anyone else seen them drop off or not owrk as well over time?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As of team trials instep protection mandatory in US competition, that means a pad between foot and sock. Medical rules have not changed.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As of team trials instep protection mandatory in US competition, that means a pad between foot and sock. Medical rules have not changed.
Really? They don't seem to enforce that rule. Just get taped from the medic and put you socks over the tape. I have not really seen any thing else.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
We asked USAT official and they stated that 14-32 black belts, just tapes under socks. Any kids under 13 year of age can wear nylon instep pads under the socks.

The problem is that the E-socks design in a way that is fitted to the foot. Any more material underneath it, it will not fit. The zipper cannot be zipped, and/or will ripped if you forced it.

Another problem is if you go to the bigger sock so the instep can fit, then the toes will not reach the toes holes.

Use 1/4" foam and wrap it underneath the sock is the way to go.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the UT 24 trials they made athletes get foam taped to their feet or wear a pad underneath.

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A ref from the US Open told me that you had to have instep protection under the sock. He suggested a thin "koozie" type of thing that was taped in place. Thin enough to fit under the sock, but also offer enough protection.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That ref was mistaken. There is no requirement for any sort of instep protection at WTF events, except for the lajust sock. Prior to the use of lajust, it was perfectly acceptable to fight completely barefoot at the US Open and any official WTF event. At this year's US Open anything more than 2 layers of tape under the sock should not have been allowed.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Instep protection IS REQUIRED at Nationals and all States and Qualifiers. It is not required at INTERNATIONAL events; like US Open.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instep protection IS REQUIRED at Nationals and all States and Qualifiers. It is not required at INTERNATIONAL events; like US Open.
You may have a point. I know that at National the medics cut a 1/8th piece of hard foam that they used when taping a foot. Most all competitors only use this tape and thin piece of foam but it got stamped, stating that the foot was protected and certified by the medic.

However at the US Open the medics only taped the foot and the competitors only used tape and no instep guard nor piece of foam taped with the foot.

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. That's it! It was just after the US Open, but he was giving info for the upcoming collegiate nationals tournament. Sorry I wasn't clear.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As of Texas State instep protection mandatory in US competition, that means a pad between foot and sock. Medical rules have not changed. I have heard this directly from John Seiber (Dec 09) and Seung Hwan Kim (Mar 10).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of Texas State instep protection mandatory in US competition, that means a pad between foot and sock. Medical rules have not changed. I have heard this directly from John Seiber (Dec 09) and Seung Hwan Kim (Mar 10).

TX_BB like Master Southwick has said it hold true only US events that are not Internationalm since the US open is a International event so it is not required.