Lack of Kenpo Schools

M

max49c

Hello group: Let me introduce myself. I am NEW to the forum. I have experience in Tae Kwon Do, but have always dreamed of learning Kenpo.

I am surprised at the lack of American Kenpo schools in my area. There are only 2, and these are 45 minutes from my house, and much too late in the evening for my schedule. To this end, I am committed to learning, but require YOUR INPUT on the following:

1 - what instructors (web sites) have the best VIDEO series for sale for a new comer like me to learn Kenpo?
2- It must be all inclusive for all aspects of Kenpo, just as I would learn in the Dojo in person. (basics, forms, self defense moves, manuals, ...all)
3- I would like it Preferably on DVD (but will consider VHS) and should be organized in chapters for quick referal; and EACH MOVE EXPLAINED!
3 - How difficult is Kenpo to learn from video instruction?

Your consideration is greatly appreciated. I hope to have something of value to contribute once I begin instruction. All answers are encouraged!

Thanks

OP
B

bzarnett

What city/country do you live in? (Just in case there are other schools that are just not well advertised).

Are these instructors available for instruction on the weekends? Perhaps for privates?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
max49c said:
I am surprised at the lack of American Kenpo schools in my area. There are only 2, and these are 45 minutes from my house, and much too late in the evening for my schedule.
Unless you are in the kenpo mecca area you are going to find this everywhere.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very true- I agree with jfarnsworth....there are just no Parker Kenpo places in my area either and I live near a pretty large city. I travel 30 minutes to work out with a guy out of his garage....we both bring in info. from our home schools periodically which are much farther away.

:asian: :karate:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Yes, especially in Ohio, where American Kenpo is really bad!:rolleyes:
You're really full of **** and vinegar tonight aren't you. :boxing:

OP
M

max49c

I live in Glen Burnie, Maryland. Either way, I think I will go the video route, but would like to hear more thoughts from others what they recommend in the way of American Kenpo, Ed Parker system. The first reply I got gave me 1 good lead, the other sites mentioned were not true system. I'd like to have several more suggestions from which to choose. I appreciate your interest in helping !

OP
M

Mark Weiser

There is a member of MT here that is currently training me via video on Ed Parker System. His name is Rob Broad with Dynamic Kenpo. Contact him and see if he would be able to assist you.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
max49c said:
I am surprised at the lack of American Kenpo schools in my area. There are only 2, and these are 45 minutes from my house, and much too late in the evening for my schedule. To this end, I am committed to learning, but require YOUR INPUT on the following:

1 - what instructors (web sites) have the best VIDEO series for sale for a new comer like me to learn Kenpo?
2- It must be all inclusive for all aspects of Kenpo, just as I would learn in the Dojo in person. (basics, forms, self defense moves, manuals, ...all)
3- I would like it Preferably on DVD (but will consider VHS) and should be organized in chapters for quick referal; and EACH MOVE EXPLAINED!

Your consideration is greatly appreciated. I hope to have something of value to contribute once I begin instruction. All answers are encouraged!

Thanks
Max,

There is no substitute for a competent teacher. While videos are good for supplementing you training, the nuances of the system that make it work are lost in translation. Kenpo is definitely a system that needs to be felt to be understood. Even once a week with a good teacher would be better than learning from videos alone. If you insist on training with videos the best quality ones I've seen are Larry Tatum's technique videos and they do come on DVD.

Don't feel bad about driving 45mins...I have about 8-10 Kenpo schools within 20 miles of where I live and I drive an hour and a half to train with my teacher. Hope this helps.

-Tom

OP
B

bzarnett

I would suggest the following approach:

1) Larry Tatums Panther series for forms and basics
2) Larry Tatums Sets tape for the sets
3) Larry Tatums Self-defense series for the self-defense
4) Huk Planas's series to fill in some blanks on forms and basics
5) Skip Hancocks tape to fill in some gaps on concepts, methods, and approach

Go to some seminars, as frequently as you can. I suggest Larry Tatum, Skip Hancock, and Dennis Conatser.

Pick an individual like Larry Tatum who will review you work by video. I believe there are other instructors that would do this as well.

Post in your local library/community centre/etc. the formation of an American Kenpo study group. No one is an instructor - you are all trying to learn the art bit by bit.

Pick up the belt manuals (I like the Kenpo 2000 ones). Pick up the Infinite Insights and the Encyclopedia of Kenpo.

Ask questions here.

Hope it gives you some ideas.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
max49c said:
Hello group: Let me introduce myself. I am NEW to the forum. I have experience in Tae Kwon Do, but have always dreamed of learning Kenpo.

First off, welcome to the forum. Now to answer your questions.

There are many out there. Check out Panther Video, as they have a wide selection of tapes. I've seen some of Larry Tatums. I'd go with those.

Again, I'll go with Tatum.

Tatum

Its always better to train with a live instructor rather than a tape, especially if the art you are interested in is foreign to you. If you are interested in learning I'd see if privates were available to you.

Good luck in your decision!

Mike

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

I would recommend finding an instructor (although it may be difficult) as opposed to DVDs, but make do with what you have available I suppose. :)

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am also in Maryland. I can give you a few names in the area, but not sure how close they are to you.

Mike Guercio - Westminster, Md - AKKI (his website is on the AKKI website www.akki.com)

Mike Lambert - Dundulk, Md - Type his name in on a search engine and he will come

Brian Heins - Pikesville, Md - AKKS (doesn't have a website but you can find him in the yellow pages under American Kenpo Karate)

American Kenpo Kenpo Studios - their located on Business Center Dr (Near Baltimore) you can find them on the web and in the phonebook.

Check the WKKA website (World Kenpo Karate Association) he has two locations in Maryland in the Baltimore area.

And Jim Fredericks - AKKS - He is near Towsen Md, that will probably be to far for you but you can view his site too...I believe it is www. frederickskenpokarate.com

A friend of mine teaches AKKI American Kenpo in Gaithersburg Md. That to is too far as well.

Hope this helps some and hope you find something to help you with your journey.

Yours in Kenpo,
Bill Smith

OP
M

meni

Joe Palanzo's Kenpo Karate

10534 York Rd., Cockeysville, MD 21030

James Walsh 410-628-4994

Joe Palanzo's Kenpo Karate

1400 B Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD 21208

Joe Palanzo 410-484-8751

enjoy

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hey Meni whats up, this is David, you know that really anoying 2nd degree black belt that you love to get taught by LOL. How are things?

OP
M

meni

parkerkarate said:
hey Meni whats up, this is David, you know that really anoying 2nd degree black belt that you love to get taught by LOL. How are things?
Hi how are you?
I'm doing well
And yes you're annoying :) but we miss you here, when are you coming here?

are u coming for the camp?

Your favorite annoying rabbi

Meni

Latest Discussions