Kwans envolvment in KKW Self Defense

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which kwan would have had the biggest influence in the developement of self defense in the KKW curriculum? How was that handle in the conception of the KKW?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good question, Terry. I'd assume that no one kwan was more influential than another. The text book's self defense seems pretty generic; nothing really seems to be readily identifiable as anything specific and most is striking based.

Daniel

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I imagine it is a combination of kwans but thought maybe somebody might have something that said who really was in the forefront.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, we didn't practice any self defense techniques. There are some basic one step sparring and that sort of stuff in the Kukkiwon Textbook, but they weren't covered at the course. We did cover the poomsae, and some basic applications were shown, but that was more off the cuff due to questions from the students rather than anything on the syllabus.

I should mention though that Chang Moo Kwan Jang GM KIM Soon Bae was sitting on our testing board, and he got really upset when some of the lower dans demonstrated Taeguek 7 Jang. Specifically, he got up from his chair and started schooling us on that sequence with the knee strike double punch and assisted down block, demonstrating that and explaining what the purpose of that was. He was actually yelling in disgust at what he felt was a very poor performance. GM Kim's performance and explanation was exactly what I had heard from GM LEE Chong Woo and GM PARK Hae Man, almost word for word.

It was funny because I was politely trying to help some of my fellow students with that sequence the day before and one girl got all offended, scowling at me and saying she had learned that from her GRANDMASTER. She was one of the people who was getting coldings during our test. So much for doing it how your GRANDMASTER taught it to you, at least at the Kukkiwon. I guess I could have said "I told you so" but she was feeling pretty dejected and on the verge of tears after getting bitched out by one of the pioneers who created those poomsae (as opposed to her grandmaster, who learned it at one seminar and from a book), so I let it go. It did reinforce the idea that some things need to be experienced before you finally learn.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it fair to say that the Ji Do Kwan held the vanguard on advancing TKD free sparring, at least before sparring evolved to the current Olympic rules type of sparring?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it fair to say that the Ji Do Kwan held the vanguard on advancing TKD free sparring, at least before sparring evolved to the current Olympic rules type of sparring?

Jidokwan emphasized sparring back when others were focusing on forms. So they had a head start in sparring competitions at tournaments. Also the Jidokwan's GM LEE Byung Ro is credited with developing the steps and footwork that is currently still used in Taekwondo competition. Other kwans learned and eventually caught up. There are some videos on youtube of taekwondo sparring in the 1950's, and it was very crude.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, we didn't practice any self defense techniques. There are some basic one step sparring and that sort of stuff in the Kukkiwon Textbook, but they weren't covered at the course. We did cover the poomsae, and some basic applications were shown, but that was more off the cuff due to questions from the students rather than anything on the syllabus.

I should mention though that Chang Moo Kwan Jang GM KIM Soon Bae was sitting on our testing board, and he got really upset when some of the lower dans demonstrated Taeguek 7 Jang. Specifically, he got up from his chair and started schooling us on that sequence with the knee strike double punch and assisted down block, demonstrating that and explaining what the purpose of that was. He was actually yelling in disgust at what he felt was a very poor performance. GM Kim's performance and explanation was exactly what I had heard from GM LEE Chong Woo and GM PARK Hae Man, almost word for word.

It was funny because I was politely trying to help some of my fellow students with that sequence the day before and one girl got all offended, scowling at me and saying she had learned that from her GRANDMASTER. She was one of the people who was getting coldings during our test. So much for doing it how your GRANDMASTER taught it to you, at least at the Kukkiwon. I guess I could have said "I told you so" but she was feeling pretty dejected and on the verge of tears after getting bitched out by one of the pioneers who created those poomsae (as opposed to her grandmaster, who learned it at one seminar and from a book), so I let it go. It did reinforce the idea that some things need to be experienced before you finally learn.

Could you explain how the sequence was told to everyone at the KKW course? I would like to hear what it is to be really.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you explain how the sequence was told to everyone at the KKW course? I would like to hear what it is to be really.

My suggestion is to take the course. They will explain it for you there. There is one in two weeks, if you have an extra $480 after Christmas to spend.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My suggestion is to take the course. They will explain it for you there. There is one in two weeks, if you have an extra $480 after Christmas to spend.

No cannot make that one sorry, how come you will not go into detail? One way to make one TKD is for all to learn the exact samething, would you not agree. I guess I can always go over to Master Cha and ask him.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's what I know, Jido Kwan had the top competitors back in the 1960's mid 1970's.

Manny

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can almost say the same thing from an ITF prespective & the patterns that Gen Choi devised. It is a shame for many people to actually have the principle players who devised these Tuls or Poomsae & not take their direction on how to perform them.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No cannot make that one sorry, how come you will not go into detail? One way to make one TKD is for all to learn the exact samething, would you not agree. I guess I can always go over to Master Cha and ask him.
He is better off waiting until August or September. There will be one in Dallas being hosted by the USTC. :)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In terms of self defense, I would think Jidokwan would have a bit of an advantadge over the other kwans. Wasn't their first school taught out of a Yudo gym and some of the original members were Yudo players as well?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In terms of self defense, I would think Jidokwan would have a bit of an advantadge over the other kwans. Wasn't their first school taught out of a Yudo gym and some of the original members were Yudo players as well?
Yes, though I think that it was actual judo prior to the end of the occupation.

Daniel

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kind of a funny thread, I know what you are getting at but isn't striking and blocking with the foot and hand both self defense and offense.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say that it was a judo school, not Yudo. Yudo is a Korean term that they used for Judo, but I think that during the Japanese occupation it would have been the Japanese term Judo, which was 1 of the few martial arts allowed, archery & kendo were 2 others

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of a funny thread, I know what you are getting at but isn't striking and blocking with the foot and hand both self defense and offense.

Yes it is and no it is not.... one or somehad to bring what they believed to be the SD portion into TKD and help developed what they thought was right for the Koreans way of thinking. So I wanted to know who first took up this task and began our set of SD by the KKW standerds.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would say that it was a judo school, not Yudo. Yudo is a Korean term that they used for Judo, but I think that during the Japanese occupation it would have been the Japanese term Judo, which was 1 of the few martial arts allowed, archery & kendo were 2 others
Well if we are going to be technical, it was founded in 1946 after Japanese occupation. Pronunciation of it is due to interpretation of kanji I believe.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if we are going to be technical, it was founded in 1946 after Japanese occupation. Pronunciation of it is due to interpretation of kanji I believe.
I believe the Judo school opened in 1939 & that the Jidkwan 1st trained there after the occupation ended. So did they start calling it yudo that early on?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No I believe the term yudo was brought in around 1944 or so by what I was told by other people, but then again who really knows but those that was actually there and can remember there facts right.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions