Kung Fu in sparring/tournaments, real world use?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm searching around my area for various schools, and found a surprising number of schools centered around Chinese styles. My question is, are there any kung fu styles that have a 'reputation' or deep rooted tradition in sparring or tournament competitions? Any Chinese styles that are noted for being more effective in a 'situation' requiring defense of yourself or another?

I ask, since most of the schools have their competitions based around forms/katas. There is one- the Jow Ga Shaolin Institute- that seems to have a movement towards actual sparring, as well as 'real world' application for defense (which is not to say other styles don't have real world application, only that this school seems to make a point of it on their website).

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I'm guessing you're maybe in the Va/DC/Md area??

Yup, Fairfax VA. Soon to be in the South Riding/Chantilly area, as my wife and I are getting a house (yaaay!). Which of course means no money for classes for a short while (boooo!).

Gotta change my settings to make that little tidbit of info show up. :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Jow Ga in the area is pretty good stuff. They train for competitions & are hard to beat in them, but the art itself Jow Ga is pretty useful in everyday use.

It's a southern medium to long range style like Hung Ga, Choy Li Fut, Hung Fut, etc... From what I've seen, it'd be pretty ok. Check into it for sure!

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks!

The website seems to have a professional appearance, and is relatively well updated, so it seems promising. The head instructor was very prompt to answer my questions via email.

To clarify, though, you said "they were hard to beat". Did you mean practitioners of the style, or members of that particular school?

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the sad truth to answer your question. It depends on the specific school and teacher. Almost any MA is effective and useful in real "street fights", but its effectiveness will depend on how you practice it and how you practice it will probably depend on how the instructor teaches it.

Now for some positive news... Even a bad class/teacher can be overcome by a student truly determined to be good at the MA, but will take longer and be harder then a good school. If you are truly determined you will do good no matter where.

I know nothing about the specific school/style you asked about, but if its really Shaolin based it will probably be fine to start with. There is a certain amount of flexability and stance training for most Chinese MAs and starting Shaolin will be good to start with.

After starting anywhere, keep looking around and learn more about other styles. While building the conditioning you may decide Shaolin is not right for you and Wing Chun is better. You may decide where you are is the best.

My one last, and truly biased, suggestion is look into Tai Chi Chuan as well. It is a style you can easily do into your 80s, and if you get good enough to fight with it you will be very difficult to defeat. I always suggest Tai Chi early because of how long it takes to learn, even if you mainly study a different style and learn Tai Chi on the side.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Thanks!

The website seems to have a professional appearance, and is relatively well updated, so it seems promising. The head instructor was very prompt to answer my questions via email.

To clarify, though, you said "they were hard to beat". Did you mean practitioners of the style, or members of that particular school?

Cool!!!!

"hard to beat" generally meant the players due to the conditioning, drilling & aggressive nature of the style. Obviously it's always the individual players, but some styles tend to produce fighters that are often harder to beat than the same caliber of person from a different style.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, you will find it is more about the individual and training than it is about the style.

7sm

Latest Discussions