Kung Fu Exercise

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found this video on a kung fu exercise. Any thoughts on this? Would anybody consider this a good drill?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not sure why the two are combined. Would have thought the press ups would have seperate from a strengthing exercise. Still interesting though if not a bit of marketing.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its Jake Mace he does shaolin do....
He has literally what seems to be a crappy version of every Kung fu style in existence

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He has literally what seems to be a crappy version of every Kung fu style in existence
-----------------------------------

Junk and more junk-debasing kung fu

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I practice Iron Skull Kung Fu.
It is very strong.

I think.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jake is an exceptional athlete but anything martially related I would not put a lot of stock in.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jake is an exceptional athlete but anything martially related I would not put a lot of stock in.

Wondering if this is the same fella that did a White Crane vid. Guessing this fella is stuntman. Will Google more on him later.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So most of the people here are not recommending learning from Jake Mace, at least not if you want to learn kung fu. I stumbled on his videos when doing an internet search for Eagle Claw Kung Fu. If he is not recommended, is there anybody who would be recommended for that?

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jake Mace is a very hard worker and keeps incredibly fit. My teacher sometimes daydreams about giving him real material to work on as he would do the work. Learn from him or his videos? Not a good idea. Learning from a more legitimate person by videos? Also not a good idea. A lot of what's in gong fu has to be FELT to be understood. In my humble opinion you can use videos as reminders or inspiration to experiment with concepts but won't gain true skill as a beginner.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jake Mace is a very hard worker and keeps incredibly fit. My teacher sometimes daydreams about giving him real material to work on as he would do the work. Learn from him or his videos? Not a good idea. Learning from a more legitimate person by videos? Also not a good idea. A lot of what's in gong fu has to be FELT to be understood. In my humble opinion you can use videos as reminders or inspiration to experiment with concepts but won't gain true skill as a beginner.

So who is your teacher? I might want to look him up and see what kind of material he teaches. And yes, you can only learn so much from a video but it can introduce you to new concepts and training methods and for somebody who already has good experience in the martial arts, it can be good for research. For me, I would say one of the best uses for videos is to look at the material and if you like it to find a place that teaches it.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
PhotonGuy my teacher is Sifu Lloyd Day. I am learning Kenny Gong's xingyi and bagua from him. There aren't many videos of anyone doing our system and the fellow with the most, Gad Levy, teaches something significantly different from what I have been learning.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. Looks like he tends to his garden with swords. The website alone rang a few alarm bells from my perspective.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train in a traditional kung fu and I can tell you that we don't do iron training like that. This would not be a good training. I use iron rings to make my arms hard. I found out having 4 rings are more than enough to harden the forearms. One small ring (depending on the size of your hand) and one large. Do your forms like you normally would and the rings will gently harden your arms over time. Remove the rings the moment you feel that you are about to bruise. This will allow you to heal faster and it's never good to constantly hit a bruise. Shins are harden in a soft manner as well either by lightly tapping on them with a foam escrima still at first until they are hard enough to lightly tap with wood. Stop right before you feel that you are bruising.

According to my Sifu Iron palm training is tricky because if you do it wrong you'll not only damage the hand but the pressure points in your hand resulting in becoming mentally unstable. I'm palm is the only one that I don't do.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I would have to agree with CLFsean on this. After watching a few of his videos I begin to see some things that didn't make sense to me when I compare my training to his. For example, the video from the OP about Iron Bone training. Iron bone training is similar throughout many kung fu styles but this is the first time I've seen it done like this.

CLFsean. you wouldn't happen to be from the Atlanta Kung Fu and Sanda Center would you?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree with CLFsean on this. After watching a few of his videos I begin to see some things that didn't make sense to me when I compare my training to his. For example, the video from the OP about Iron Bone training. Iron bone training is similar throughout many kung fu styles but this is the first time I've seen it done like this.

CLFsean. you wouldn't happen to be from the Atlanta Kung Fu and Sanda Center would you?

One & the same ... Are you S, J or M?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not going to comment on Jake, as that issue has been covered pretty well :D

However, I always wondered about fore-arm conditioning that people sometimes practice. I never saw a need for it.

I have had many people complain that their arms hurt when making contact with mine, and I wonder if it's just because they're more tense and tend to meet my force more bluntly. Granted, I am thin and kind of boney. But, I don't find that my more experienced training partners ever complain, and I don't find that my arms hurt even on the occasions that people deliberately strike at them (with empty hands, at least). So, yeah. Preventing damage to your forearms, I think, has far more to do with maintaining a less rigid attitude and deflecting force rather than meeting it head on.

I don't see conditioning that area as being the least bit important. But then, I don't employ a particularly hard style.

tigercrane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Iron Palm training that he is trying to teach is wrong.

As seen in the video, he forcefully drives the palm into 4x4 piece. This is risky and may injure the bone and adjacent ligaments.

The correct way of doing that is to so with a slapping motion when the hand is completely relaxed. Not to mention, it is better done with Dit Da Jow herbal balm.

The same concept is applied to Makiwara board in Okinawan karate - relaxed slapping method.