Kung Fu and the Olympics

W

white mantis

I was wondering why thir is no kung fu in the olympics when judo and TKD are part of the olympic games. Does anyone else think kung fu should be part of the olympics?

OP
S

ShaolinWolf

I don't know, but then people would start pitching fits and saying that buddhist monks were over running the olympics and things would never be the same:rolleyes: . LOL. (I don't believe that for a minute..heh). I think the lack of MA from the olympics is sad, but I guess we just have to wait. People'd complain about the olympics wasting time on MA and not on "real sports". Sad, sad, sad thoughts there.

I think personally they should have an MA olympic type event for fighters all over the world. Maybe someday in the future we'll see it...Until then, I'm sticking with the US open in Orlanda, FL. :)
:asian:

P.S. Wushu is really gonna be in the olympics this year?!?!...See, they are finally getting the idea. By 2020, we ought to have kung fu/wushu, TKD, Judo, Juijitsu, Aikido, Swords, Kenpo, and a few others...LOL.:ultracool

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I thought that wusu was planned as a demo sport this year
I had heard the same thing. And to answer your question, I honestly dont think kung fu should be an olympic sport. Kung Fu isn't about that, it isn't sport enough. Aside from the simple legistics of how to judge it, I think it would be a huge disservice to CMA to include it in any type of sporting events. Most tai chi people don't even believe in tournements, let alone olympics.

These are just my opinions, but most highly skilled kung fu practitioners aren't doing it for any reason even close to being involved in the olympics. They wouldn't compete and then it would be all new low skilled people and that could really be detrimental to CMA in general.

7sm

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Kung Fu isn't about that, it isn't sport enough. Aside from the simple legistics of how to judge it, I think it would be a huge disservice to CMA to include it in any type of sporting events. Most tai chi people don't even believe in tournements, let alone olympics.

These are just my opinions, but most highly skilled kung fu practitioners aren't doing it for any reason even close to being involved in the olympics. They wouldn't compete and then it would be all new low skilled people and that could really be detrimental to CMA in general.

7sm
I agree. Plus, some MA styles are just more sport oriented and more condusive (sp?) to competition. I don't think Kung Fu would translate well to that type of competition and/or judging style, or that the mind set of CMA's would be in sync with the Olympic way.
:asian:

OP
T

TonyM.

Actually it was the bickering and infighting that mostly kept Wushu out of the Olympics.

OP
R

RHD

TonyM. said:
Actually it was the bickering and infighting that mostly kept Wushu out of the Olympics.

Wushu is already in the olympics...its called Gymnastics floor exercises. :mp5:

Mike

Latest Discussions