Kukkiwon and the IOC

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was reading another post it had mention that the you did not have to be Kukkiwon to get to the Olympics is this correct? And if so why does USAT tell you different? What is the true meaning of a Kukkiwon certification does it mean the sport side only or is it true TKD like in the older days before the sport? Pleaese if the question upsets anybody I'm sorry but I have been fighting for a long time with weather the value is an important as the training and if so please list the pro's and con's of both side for me?
Terry

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You do indeed need a Kukkiwon certificate to participate in the Olympics. If an athlete is good and does not have one, they can get one through a certified 4th Dan. We even have to have a Kukkiwon to compete at the US National Poomsae Team Trials, that is why it is so important to have , at least a 1st Dan Kukkiwon if you are an athlete.

ron

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is cool, I understand now a little better as well. It seems to me that it is comparable to Judo in the aspect of competition you must be a member certified by and be a member of the USJA.

Latest Discussions