Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Twist Stance
By bujuts - Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:11:09 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Greetings, all.

Through years of seeing occasionally seeing Tracy's practitioners, and, more recently, seeing clips of some, I notice that the Twist Stance is only arrived at by stepping into it, either forwards or backwards. In other words, from a right NB, will you (addressing the Tracy's folks here) rotate to a right twist stance in place? Why or why not?

Now, this question applies to any kenpoist, Tracy or otherwise. When you do a twist stance, is your center of mass behind, on top of, or in front of your front (twisted) foot? Why does your system do it that way, and what advantage does it serve?

I look forward to any information on either or both of these questions.

Thanks in advance,

Steven Brown
Phoenix, AZ

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

DRANKIN

White Belt
Reaction score
What I have been taught is that functionally, in kenpo, the twist stance is strictly a transitional stance. Not a fighting stance that we should be hanging out in. It is broken out and practiced for the sake of understanding and clarifying the letters in our vocabulary of motion. Another example would be the cat stance.

I vaguely remember reading that the twist stance originated in kung fu as a way to traverse stairs. Try it :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twist Stance
By bujuts - Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:11:09 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

When you do a twist stance, is your center of mass behind, on top of, or in front of your front (twisted) foot?
Relative to each other, both feet are 'twisted' in some manner. However the weight distribution properly executed is still 50/50. Recognize a 'twist' stance is a 'twisted horse stance' with no change of weight distribution. The weight however may be transfered in preparation for additional footwork mobility, just as in a horse or any other stance. Therefore the center of mass should properly be at your hips balanced between both legs. This is true even if the feet occupy different planes of height, which is one of the reasons the stance was created; to allow even weight distribution, and as such balance, in a variety of environmental circumstances. This allows mobility in multiple directions and, doesn't relegate the transition to a limited transitional potential.

Latest Discussions