KT:In regard to Joe Palanzo

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
In regard to Joe Palanzo
By Rich_Hale - 05-12-2009 01:21 AM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Recently I took interest in a thread where ParkerKarate provided a link for everyone to view a glimpse of his 4th degree black belt test. There were some mixed reviews and in the end the poor guy took an Internet beating that must have made his test look like a Swedish massage.

All this aside, the thread took an interesting and disappointing turn. It went from critiquing the gentleman who posted the video to bashing his instructor and his organization. In this case it was Joe Palanzo and the WKKA.

Aside from a few of you who actually know Joe, and for reasons of your own, don&#8217;t like the guy &#8211; how many of you have ever even met the man that you were insulting?

Joe is a friend of mine, not because he&#8217;s the best Kenpo instructor in the world or because he has a perfect organization, but because from the day we met (some twenty five years ago) he has treated me with friendship, kindness and respect. I have also visited few of Joe&#8217;s students over the years and have been met with the same respect. Most recently I dropped in on Tom LoVarco on Long Island where I was not only treated very well, but invited to teach Tom&#8217;s advanced class that evening.

That being said; No, Joe doesn&#8217;t do forms like Angelo Collado, he doesn&#8217;t fight like Frank Trejo, and he doesn&#8217;t do techniques like Paul Dye. So let&#8217;s say we make that our standard for teaching shall we? If we aren&#8217;t the most winning forms competitor in the history of Kenpo, or if we can&#8217;t fight like Frank or do techniques like Paul Dye, then let&#8217;s just take our belts off and go home right?

Seriously, I have seen some really, really, bad Kenpo over the years and if I was to start pointing fingers at people it would take me years before I got to Joe Palanzo. But honestly I would &#8220;never&#8221; get there. This may not be a popular stance, but Joe teaches the Ed Parker system of Kenpo as it was taught to him by his instructor &#8211; Ed Parker. And think about this for a minute, Joe has never turned his back on his instructor and he hasn&#8217;t bastardized the system to his own likeness and then taken on a title like Supreme Grand Master Palanzo.

Joe is just a guy that has dedicated his entire life to teaching the art of Kenpo. If you know Joe, you know he&#8217;s no dummy. Joe could have made more money in almost any other occupation than teaching Kenpo &#8211; we all could. But we don&#8217;t. And why don&#8217;t we? Because we love the art and anyone who loves it enough to teach it to thousands of people for the last 40 or 50 years has earned my respect &#8211; even if they aren&#8217;t as tough as Mike Pick or as good looking as me and Dr. Dave. (Sorry, I just had to lighten it up a bit. I was just joking about Mike being tough.)

I know some of you may like to counter my view and say this and that about Joe, but before you do, please consider this suggestion. Write a letter, with all your gripes, and send it directly to Mr. Palanzo. Then, when he responds, you can post both letters on the forum.

And what if he doesn&#8217;t reply you say? Then I guess he has already learned that fanning the flames of discontent will never put the fire out.

Take care my friends and though I may not always like what you have to say, I'm thankful to live in a country where you have the right to say it anyway.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Latest Discussions