korean for sweeping kick

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

Anyone know the Korean for "sweeping kick?"

Also, one source I have lists both golcho chagi and goro chagi for hooking kick. We have always used golcho. I am wondering if anyone can tell me why both golcho and goro seem to be translated as hooking.

Thanks!

Hkfuie

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh! Also I found another source (my handy copy of "A Martial Artist's Guide to Korean Terms, Translation and Han-gul") gives "Ssuro chagi" as the Korean terminology for sweeping kick.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

Anyone know the Korean for "sweeping kick?"

Also, one source I have lists both golcho chagi and goro chagi for hooking kick. We have always used golcho. I am wondering if anyone can tell me why both golcho and goro seem to be translated as hooking.

Thanks!

Hkfuie

I've heard golcho chagi used for hook kick

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Lauren.

That's the term we use, too, but looking back in an old book from my instructor's instructor I saw the Goro word. That translation did not get handed down to me, so I don't know what it is.

Hopefully I will find out more soon.

;)

Steph

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
crickets? I guess no one knows. Well, I'll find out eventually.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's the problem with a Korean word for sweeping kick. There are just too many ways to say it. Do you want to say low reverse roundhouse, spinning low heel kick, or some proprietary term? I have found bal chakisool and suroh chagi, but those are just two ways to say it. What does your organization have to say?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to get packed for a business trip, but I'll do more research later tonight or tomorrow. No worries! I have been working on this, it just isn't an easy answer. It will probably require some time in my chinese dictionaries.

OP
hkfuie

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mbuzzy, you are awesome. This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. I can't wait to learn more. My teacher and teacher's teachers are American. Even if the word they use is wrong, I will continue to use it and teach it as a way to fit in with them. But I would love to also be able to teach what is correct. My goal is to produce students who will know enough to be able to relate to and share with martial artists from other styles. Never hurts to know two ways to do the same thing, or two ways to communicate.

Thanks alot, Mbuzzy. your knowledge is impressive and apprexiated.

Steph, aka hkfuie

Latest Discussions