Knife Fighting 101: The Basics

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knife Fighting 101: You see that sharp thing? Yeah? Don't let it go into you.

What other obvious tips ya got? :) (Lets be both serious yet humorous here, and make it a fun yet functional thread.)

Stick Dummy

<b>"Great Guro Wizard of the Gun and Knife"</b>
Reaction score
How about a quote on the walls of one of the class rooms I frequent:

"If you knew you would be fighting for your life today, would you have changed you training yesterday???"

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't throw your knife at your enemy unless he is a double amputee.:)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he drops his knife, or you disarm him, whatever you do, do not give it back to him.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How f'd up is the situation that you actually got into a "knife fight" in the first place?

There is a quote attributed variously to Musashi, Leo Giron, and several other bladed weapon instructors that goes something like:

If you are better than him, you live and he dies.
If he is better than you, he lives and you die.
If you are both equally good, you both die.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sharp end goes in him, round end goes in your hand. Do not confuse these 2.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he drops his knife, or you disarm him, whatever you do, do not give it back to him.

I can't remember if it was Loren Christensen or Lawrence Kane, but one of them shared an anecdote in one of their books where a police officer disarmed a guy and started to hand him back his gun. It's good to keep that in mind when swapping weapons back and forth with your training partner.

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hide your blade. It's an extension of your arm, and should come as a hidden cross punch after you feint with the jab.

Never hold it akimbo like they do in the movies.

Do not slice with your blade. A slicing motion will not disable your opponent. Only stabbing in a vital organ below the ribs is effective. The ribcage can catch your blade, so aiming for the heart is harder than it may seem.

Finally, do not bring said knife to the fight, as the other guy might have a gun. Better to just bring your gun.

The knife is best used as a backup weapon after all the bullets are gone in both your main and backup weapons, and the Terminator is still moving toward you. Then you use the knife to commit seppuku so that the cyborgs won't torture you to find out the location of the rebel base.

At least that's what I was taught in Combat TKD!:enguard:

Avenger2616

White Belt
Reaction score
Knife fighting isn't fencing. Get two hands into that fight!

When learning the knife, there simply is no substitute for realistic training against a non-compliant training partner.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When beginning a knife fight, there are only 4 acceptable ways to hold your knife:
1: Tip forward, edge down
2: Tip forward, edge up
3: Tip backward, edge away from your arm
4: Tip backward, edge toward your arm

The 2 handed grip, the by the tip grip, and the half n half grip aren't really practical.

Also to be avoided are the "I left it in my gym bag" grip as not having a knife at a knife fight doesn't help you too much, unless you can convince your opponent to wait while you run home to get it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another thing not to do (that actually happened!):

Muggers take note: After drawing your blade and demanding that somebody gives you their wallet, don't get distracted if the other guy says, "Whoa, that's a really cool knife, dude!" and definitely don't extend your arm so your intended victim can admire it!

And to the guy that actually did that to someone I know, I hope you eventually got better and didn't mind jail that much...dude.

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rule # 99: Don't let your eyes become fixated on your opponent's blade.

Let your eyes follow your target. Parry with your free hand, and do it instinctively. Not by looking down at his/her blade.

It's amazing how fixating a blade can be, especially if it's polished or stainless. Before you know it, you will be hit because your eyes were not on your target reading the assailants moves.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rule #1. Find competent training.
Corollary: Be careful about taking internet advice. You never know who is suggesting it, what their actual skills are, or what the true context (and therefore results) of their recommendation is.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Be careful about taking internet advice. You never know who is suggesting it, what their actual skills are, or what the true context (and therefore results) of their recommendation is.

What about your advice on taking advice?:mst: Sounds solid to me.

Vulcan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Know first aid. Learn how to tie a tourniquet and basic CPR.