Knees are like watermelon lately

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My knee;s have taken a beating over the years but here lately mainly the last couple of week the are like watermelons every night, I am schedule to see the doctor this thursday but was wondering has anybody else have had this problem before? I am sure it is no damage because I do not have any pain just alot of swellon to them.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine seem to go in cycles. I'm sure the doctor will ask you all of the smart questions about variations in your diet, exercise, rest, amount of walking and on what surfaces, any changes in footgear, and any minor injuries or pulls elsewhere (hips, feet, back, etc.) that could be causing you some kind of unhealthy compensation in how you move. Often what triggers mine is some other minor injury that's got me walking funny.

Glucosamine/Chondroitin has been a staple of mine for a long time, and overall I keep up with calcium and fish oil since I'm in my 40s. Otherwise I'm a believer in ice, ibuprofen and elevation...nothing you haven't been using for years, I'm sure.

Good luck.
Carl

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just like professional pitchers keep a track of their pitch counts in order to manage the volume and resultant wear-and-tear on their shoulder and arm, so too should martial arts, particular those in a kicking-oriented style like taekwondo.

I know of a hapkido master through a third party. One of his students told me that he's no longer able to practice his art due to the chronic abuse his joints have taken over the years. This seems very sad to me.

There's a good lesson in there for all of us who practice hard styles. Not sure if chronic overuse is a causing factor for you, Terry, but I wish you the best of luck in getting healthy. I know you've been working on losing weight and that can only help.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, seen that, had that. I ripped quarter sized divots into my patella cartilage and shredded my meniscus playing racquetball. Knees swelled up like balloons were in them. The swelling went down after staying off my feet for a few days but as soon as I did any activity other than walking to and from my car they swelled up again. Had to have them cleaned out. They shaved down the cartilage a bit to make the divot holes a bit smaller and cut off the shredded cartilage. They also found out that I had an old tear in one of my ligaments but they saw that on the MRI as well that had already healed on its own.

Few years later I had to have the same procedure on my other knee as I tore the MCL and meniscus on that knee.

But no more knee swelling, Just pain when I over do it now. But again no swelling and a few days rest and I feel good again.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My knee;s have taken a beating over the years but here lately mainly the last couple of week the are like watermelons every night, I am schedule to see the doctor this thursday but was wondering has anybody else have had this problem before? I am sure it is no damage because I do not have any pain just alot of swellon to them.

Terry the same has hapened to me but below the knee to the toes, we need to lose some bacon my friend, that's the only way to recover.

You know my feet are hurt because of the calcaneal thing I have, the doctor told me I HAVE TO LOOSE WEIGTH.

How we are gopin g to lose some punds that's a hard question.

Manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How we are gopin g to lose some punds that's a hard question.
Manny

For me the key was detailed, accurate records. Write down in one place everything you eat for each day. Keep track of every calorie you eat, and look at reducing that number.
At the same time keep a log of all of your daily exercise. Work to increase it all you can.

Weight loss comes down to burning more calories than you take in. I bet you don't know how many calories you're taking in daily, and how much less is what your really need. If you get very focused on what you're taking in and putting out, you can do this.

When I did it, I used an index card each day and carried it everywhere with me so all food for the day goes in one place and you can look at when you're hungry. If you look at the day as a whole the calories will probably shock you. If you decide to do this it will take as much will as it takes people to quit smoking. You will have to focus on it all day every day.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well one was and that is the one with the torn meniscus and there was not much pain when swollen. However the initial injury hurt enough to put me on crutches

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can try the following to minimize issues:
1. Glucosimine Chondroiton. Take the reccomended amount for at least 45 days to see if it owrks for you. I swear by it. Caution if you have shellfish allergies.
2. Take Ibuprofen 30 minutes before training with a little food. A lot of runners do this. It minimizes inflamation.
3. Apply ice immediately or as soon as possible after training. You will see pitchers and Basketball players do this if they are taken out of a game. I purchased a velcro wrap with a puoch and reuseable ice pack from Walgreensmade for legs / arms. Would just leave it in the freezer and put it on after runnng. It's great because you can be up walking around with it on.