Knee problem when doing a high knee or flying knee

icecreamshampoo

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this problem. if its in the wrong place, sorry! anyway, i've really been getting into muay thai and been doing some practicing. when i do a flying knee or anything of that sort, my knee pops a little. it doesn't hurt, but im curious as why this is happening.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine used to do that - I THINK, do NOT quote me on this; That it has to do with prior underuse of that Joint. And when you first start snapping it closed for the Knee strike, it depresses air from the joint, like how you can crack your knuckles.

I havent had this issue for months.
Now, it might be a weak knee, or an injury of some kind, or something else.
Like i say, im speaking from my own experience, do not quote me on it.

Hows your flexibility?

OP
I

icecreamshampoo

White Belt
Reaction score
Lol. im very inflexible. iv been stretching alot now though. im 6'3 so stretching for me was always tough. anyway, iv never had problems with my knees or an injury. maybe i need to stretch more? or maybe my knees just arent use to that type of movement.

thegatekeeper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is probably due to lack of flexibility. I found this to be useful when I was writing on Muay Thai stretches:

Last edited by a moderator:

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng is 100% right on the money.

Go to a Doctor and get checked out. I have seriously messed up my knees over the years and a lot of the issues were due to me stubbornly training through pain in the joints. A grand total of 7 knee surgeries(4 on the right, 3 on the left) later and I am vigilant about insuring that my students don't learn the hard way.

Better to find out now you have a small problem that could be corrected easily than to push through and create a big problem that takes a lot to fix.

Mark

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joints popping, when accompanied by pain, is something you need to get checked out. Painful popping is a sign of damage or degeneration of the ligaments and cartilage supporting the joint. Painless popping is very rarely of any concern at all.

Latest Discussions