Kind of a silly question, but...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
at our school, it's common practice to sew the bottoms of uniform pants just enough to get our ankles through, so we can keep them baggy, but don't trip over them. I'm asking because it's very possible I'll be going to a new school in a new state and I think about incidental things like this. Is a practice like this common, abnormal or unacceptable in other schools?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of this. I mean, I had to hem mine, but I didn't make the opening smaller, I just shortened the pants.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never heard or seen that done...it is expected that you hem your pants and not roll them if they are too long...this is a respect issue and a safety concern

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't do that either, never heard of that. It sounds like a pleat or is it gathered? When you do a kick, doesn't it catch then as you snap your foot? I just roll my waistband. I sew but those stitched down hems are too much to bother. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I roll the waistband too-very easy and the pants fit just perfectly.

There was a time when Century used to sell dobok pants which were unhemmed so that you could get them custom-sized. I went to a tailor who pinned up one side, charged me $20 and then made them too short. :(

Miles

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
It sounds like a pleat or is it gathered?
Yea, I guess gathered would be the right word. It keeps them baggy so they never catch when you kick. My instructor (who is the one who got me doing it)) said it was common practice in Korea and I see many of the Korean masters in this region who also do it, so I doubt it would be considered a respect issue. Oddly enough, it occurred to me to ask the question after watching Nick's video, being several students from a different region.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

Although I havent seen it done frequently in the US it is not uncommon to me.

I have seen it frequently (although often done with a tie) done by Hapkido and Han Moo Do practitioners.

I have tied mine for demos and often strap them off when free sparring.

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never heard of it either. But, like Miles, I roll the waist up/down (how ever you wanna say it), then they fit perfect (I have a low waist, but don't want the croch too low for kicking, so I don't hem them).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I never heard of it either. But, like Miles, I roll the waist up/down (how ever you wanna say it), then they fit perfect (I have a low waist, but don't want the croch too low for kicking, so I don't hem them).

The things I learn on MT. That's a good idea. I tend to wear a 4 pant & 5 top.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
can't say that I have ever tried that but i don't see a big problem with it either you should be fine just as long as there not long

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going with the crowd and saying that I have hemmed my pant legs not sown them like you have mentioned. Sorry, I have never seen or heard of that kind of thing before.

Latest Discussions