Kimbo Slice to move from MMA to Boxing

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting given that many boxers are moving to MMA these days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5501435

Kimbo Slice to enter boxing ring

Kimbo Slice, the viral video backyard-fighting sensation turned mixed martial artist, is gearing up for a foray into the sweet science.
Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, told ESPNNewYork.com that he's eager to see how he fares in the boxing world, after spending almost three years in MMA.
"I feel like a baby all over again," said the 36-year-old Florida resident. "I'm thinking about this at night. I'm gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I'm going to be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it's like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch."

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It makes a lot more sense than MMA, given his background. Can't deny the man can take a punch, but he needs to get serious about training.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting given that many boxers are moving to MMA these days...
But they are washed up over the hill boxers. No top ranked boxer in his prime will do MMA.

Kimbo is washed up and over the hill also, so not sure why or what he is doing it for.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
But they are washed up over the hill boxers. No top ranked boxer in his prime will do MMA.

Kimbo is washed up and over the hill also, so not sure why or what he is doing it for.

$$$$$$$$$

that would be my guess

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

Freakshow $$$ mainly.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't think things will be easier for him in boxing.

My money would be on boxers beating the tar out of him.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't think things will be easier for him in boxing.

My money would be on boxers beating the tar out of him.

There is no legitimate US heavyweight division in professional boxing. The few boxers with championship caliber skills are seem to be Europeans other than maybe David Haye. Kimbo Slice could make a nice career out of this and even emerge as a top US guy if he manages his opponents properly.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no legitimate US heavyweight division in professional boxing. The few boxers with championship caliber skills are seem to be Europeans other than maybe David Haye.

Be that as it may ...

Kimbo Slice could make a nice career out of this and even emerge as a top US guy if he manages his opponents properly.

I bet not.

Be interesting to be proved wrong. I guess we'll see :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is interesting after Randy Couture's 1st round submission of James Toney this past weekend.

Kimbo is a tough guy, but can he compete within the rule-set against guys who are just as tough? Guys who have been training exclusively for that particular rule-set?

I'm guessing like Toney, there's a good paycheck but it won't be pretty for Kimbo.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone at the end of their prime trained in nothing, but trying or starting to train in any discipline will not be able to compete with any top level, or medium level for that matter, person in at anything.

You will have success against people just as bad as you are and that is it. You are losing reflexes and motor skills. How in the world can you compete with people that have just reached their peak and have honed their skills also over many years. Just can't be done.

Kimbo will get creamed as soon as he fights anyone that has over 5 years training in boxing.

His first fights will be with tomato cans. Then they will try to find some semi known boxer for him to fight and two things will happen. Kimbo will get creamed or the semi known boxer will make a good payday to lose the fight on purpose.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Grey Shaw the boxing promoter has positive comments for Kimbo.

And James Toney is now talking about trying to be the one to welcome Kimbo Slice into boxing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

And James Toney is now talking about trying to be the one to welcome Kimbo Slice into boxing.
A boxing promoter will also have positive comments for any person that they can possibly make money off of.

And James Tony is looking for the next easy fight as he is also passed his prime.

DinoSmurfy

White Belt
Reaction score
My guess is he'll go out with guns blazing for the first three rounds. Unfortunately, any decent boxer with decent footwork can avoid those punches. Kimbo would then be out of breath.

Although I'm seeing promoters setting up an easy fight for him just for the $$$.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Kimbo has put himself in a bit of a interesting place. His fame and salary demands are going to necessitate a "name" opponent, but I don't see him fairing well against the top level guys. Yet because of his fame, and likely being seen as a easy mark, he's going to get offers from top level guys. Regardless of Kimbos skill, a fight against him is going to draw fans and get your name known.

Latest Discussions