Kicking

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have recently been working on improving my kicks particularly those kicks that are troublesome to me (hurrican kicks). I have recently bought both of Hee Il Cho's books on kicking and I have Bill Wallace's books as well. Are there any books or videos that one might suggest as well as suggestions about books/videos that might be a waste of time and money? Thanks.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think that if you have those two as well as Wallace's then you are in good hands. Bill Wallace is exceptionally talented. He began in Judo, got in a car accident, got hurt extremely bad. To be able to kick like that with only one decent leg is tremendous.

I met him 2x when he came to our national conventions in Cape Giradeau, MO. 03 and 04.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree w/ Matt, Wallace is about as good as you're going to get. He shows how to throw most basic kicks very well. GM Cho has the advanced kicks demonstrated very well, also.

I'd guess that Wallace doesn't do a basic front kick in his dvd's or books. Nor does he do back leg kicks.

There is a fine line between working on power & working on high kicks. One needs flexibility for both. But one need not have Wallace's extreme flexibility for those kicks. Good flexibilty is good enough.

Best of luck to you.

OP
M

mcmillintkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. Turns out that I was overthinking my hurrican kick. I have spent the last week working on it and it has improved. I am not sure that it would ever be something I could use in sparring but perhaps. Jumping and spinning exercises actually helped more that I can say.