KiBlocking kicks methods

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do u do to avoid a kick.
I see that some martial arts work on jamming kicks at the point of recoil in order to move in close.
Others may block the kick as it starts with the foot.
Others may just block or get out of the way.

What is your perferred method?
Does the same way work say if you go into a tournament or does your strategy change?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always try to evade and counter at tournaments, in a SD sceniro I would probaly jamm the leg and then go for and elbow strike or a take down of some sort.
Terry

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I always try to evade and counter at tournaments, in a SD sceniro I would probaly jamm the leg and then go for and elbow strike or a take down of some sort.
Terry

Would it be ineffective to try and jam a kick during tournaments or is it best to evade and counter? I have never participated in a tourney so I am curious. My thinking is that in tournaments most TKDers won't be looking for you to try and jam so I thought jamming might work better and I can move in with a punch.Since sport TKD teaches keeping away with feet in distance I would try the opposite and keep them close.
Is my logic flawed?
Being my very first tournament AAU National Qualifier, I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.
Man am I nervous!

Also, everyone please excuse my misspelling in the name of the thread. Should have been Kick Blocking Techniques

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with jamming a true sport TKD'er is going to be able to throw that back kick while your trying to jamm them, the effective fighters I know will use your jamming as a tool for that kick.
Terry

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh ok I gotcha.
Thanks! I guess this first tournament is giving me jitters.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use jamming as much as evading, but timing is crucial and I wouldn't (IMO) recommend it in your first touney. Like anything else, keep practicing it until you feel you're comfortable and confident enough to incorporate it into your game plan.

Jamming would be a last resort for me in the street (again, IMO). Any contact there can be dangerous and the only contact I want is what I initiate. Jamming in a tourney is safe enough because you know you're not going to get smacked in the head. Here, that isn't the case. Evade and counter works much better here.

Don't be overly persuaded or disuaded by anything said here. Try everything while you're in a controlled environment and see what works for you.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Threre is no practical difference in blocking a kick versus blocking a hand technique. The following is a progression in order of impact to the attacker:

#1 Best defense is "not be there"=evade
#2 Parry-move the attack further in the direction it is going or off its intended target
#3 Jam-the earlier you jam a technique, the easier it is to do-some arts call this a "check"
#4 Block-apply the block as a strike to the attacking tool's (foot/arm) weak spots

Practice each of these against different sized partners.

Good Luck!

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
Threre is no practical difference in blocking a kick versus blocking a hand technique. The following is a progression in order of impact to the attacker:

#1 Best defense is "not be there"=evade
#2 Parry-move the attack further in the direction it is going or off its intended target
#3 Jam-the earlier you jam a technique, the easier it is to do-some arts call this a "check"
#4 Block-apply the block as a strike to the attacking tool's (foot/arm) weak spots

Practice each of these against different sized partners.

Good Luck!

Miles

That seems like good advice, Miles. The 1st 3 are preferable to blocking. The Okinawan folks I train with really like to block. Their philosophy seems to be, "If I hurt you with my block, you'll think twice about throwing it again.":)

Latest Discussions