kenpo classes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
How is structured your kenpo class? I mean how is dsitrubute about techs,forms,etc,etc.

Manny

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How is structured your kenpo class? I mean how is dsitrubute about techs,forms,etc,etc.

Manny

My kenpo class is the brainchild of the instructor, new every class. I think he takes into account who is there and what they're currently working on and generates a lesson plan there on the spot to accomodate everyone in the best way he knows how. And he's good at it.

Two of us showed up one day and we were both preparing for a test, so he tested both on the lower rank belt then excused the lower rank (had to leave anyway) and then tested the higher (effectively giving the higher rank two tests). One day I was there alone and as a weak yellow belt we punched and kicked bags for an hour. A couple of weeks ago, two of us working on forms showed up and we worked on forms for 1.5 hours. Sometimes we all work on a technique line, sometimes he splits us up and moves between groups. It's very dynamic.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My kenpo class is the brainchild of the instructor, new every class. I think he takes into account who is there and what they're currently working on and generates a lesson plan there on the spot to accomodate everyone in the best way he knows how. And he's good at it.

Two of us showed up one day and we were both preparing for a test, so he tested both on the lower rank belt then excused the lower rank (had to leave anyway) and then tested the higher (effectively giving the higher rank two tests). One day I was there alone and as a weak yellow belt we punched and kicked bags for an hour. A couple of weeks ago, two of us working on forms showed up and we worked on forms for 1.5 hours. Sometimes we all work on a technique line, sometimes he splits us up and moves between groups. It's very dynamic.

thanks for the excellent post, an instructor should be able to come up with interesting and exciting drills to enforce skill development. I really have enjoyed tech lines as in American Kenpo.

a suggestion for all ya'll instructors is Dr. Kim's Martial Arts Instructors Desk Refrence book. I have pulled a lot of great ideas from that book...

My humble and ignorant .02 cents

Chris