Kenpo 5.0 Commercial

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh...that's not how I'd want to advertise my school if I had one. It's hard for me to imagine situations in which that'd be defensible...they're certainly rare enough to not merit inclusion in a brief commercial.

This is the overkill thing, folks.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I also don't think cutting a guy up with a knife after he has only punched you is defensible either.

Cheers
Sam :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe this was over kill and not a good way to promote a school, just my opinion.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks that like normal overkill laden ken(m)po to me too...

It's one thing to hit enough to stop an attack & practice good self defense.

The rest are lawsuits and/or felony jail time waiting.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
most kenpo teachers don;t seem to care aoubt legal ramifications.

But its ok becasue most of the stuff they teach won't let them survive past the inital assault anyway LOL!!

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
most kenpo teachers don;t seem to care aoubt legal ramifications.

But its ok becasue most of the stuff they teach won't let them survive past the inital assault anyway LOL!!

ummm are you no longer a Kempo guy???????

Any one that has never kicked an attacker while on the ground has never been in a real altercation. Sure let him get back up so he can cut your throat while you walk away thinking how nice it was for you to defend yourself without hurting the bad guy.

In a life or death situation you are worried about a lawsuit!!! Give me a break, thats the biggest pile of......oh never mind keep breaking boards, they don't hit back.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
So many people forget why we teach the overkill in the first place. In the world of perfection, yes a lot of the Kempo would be overkill. In the world of reality, people block, dodge, duck and move out of the way.. and sometimes hit back. We teach continous motion so if we miss once we know the next natural movement just keeps coming. I wish someone told the guy who kicked me in the head last time i was in a tussle that it was illegal. Also- if your getting mugged, defend yourself and pound the guy into the ground he probably is not going to sue you,, He did just try to mug you. But then again there is always the story of the burglar who fell through the skylight, landed on a knife and sued the family.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many people forget why we teach the overkill in the first place. In the world of perfection, yes a lot of the Kempo would be overkill. In the world of reality, people block, dodge, duck and move out of the way.. and sometimes hit back. We teach continous motion so if we miss once we know the next natural movement just keeps coming.

If you missed, it's likely because something happened that you didn't expect/want to happen...so the "next" movement is apt to fail also, isn't it? If a jab doesn't land, do you follow up with a cross to the place where you now know the opponent's head isn't located?

Also- if your getting mugged, defend yourself and pound the guy into the ground

In this clip the defender dropped his opponent, broke his arm with a figure-four arm lock (indicated by the tap), stood up, then kicked him in the Adam's apple. If you're in the Army in Iraq, fine--that's war. If you're in the Oktoberfest in Cincinnati, maybe not.

As someone whose art focuses on weapons, including the kind with sharp edges, I'm well aware that a serious or fatal injury is always a possibility. But it shouldn't be a goal. We don't practice to stab maimed people on the ground. If the time ever comes for that I figure I can ad lib it.

Surely an ad like this is intended to get kids who are afraid of being bullied in school as much as anything else. If that's so, this seems an inappropriate ad.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you missed, it's likely because something happened that you didn't expect/want to happen...so the "next" movement is apt to fail also, isn't it? If a jab doesn't land, do you follow up with a cross to the place where you now know the opponent's head isn't located?

ROFL!!!! Are you kidding me? So what, you stop and smile at each other and see who blinks? Are you saying that in every sparring match you have ever been in you connected with every strike? Do you throw the cross, YES and the hook that comes after that and the uppercut.....overhand right will probably get used too as well as elbows knees and the book shelf sitting on top of the trash can...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you are right, won't be time to think of legal consequences in teh middl eof defending myself, so I amke sure to train appropriate responses to differnet level of attack.

Will I crush some guys throat because he put his hand on my shoulder? or poke his eye out for pushing me? not as a first response, but if he elevates, I can too.

it gets back to the whole idea of "I knew how to poke a guy's eyes out and crush his testicles before I ever walked in the dojo, so what am I paying to learn"

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish someone told the guy who kicked me in the head last time i was in a tussle that it was illegal.

Well, I'm sure he knew but didn't care.
I'm not being facetious.
If you respond to an attack in ways that you know are illegal, you are only slightly better, morally, than that guy; and legally not any better.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you are right, won't be time to think of legal consequences in teh middl eof defending myself, so I amke sure to train appropriate responses to differnet level of attack.

Will I crush some guys throat because he put his hand on my shoulder? or poke his eye out for pushing me? not as a first response, but if he elevates, I can too.

it gets back to the whole idea of "I knew how to poke a guy's eyes out and crush his testicles before I ever walked in the dojo, so what am I paying to learn"

Well I'm not sure what you are paying for, according to the website in your signature you are paying for Kempo yet you say that most Kempo teaches you material that wouldn't get you through the initial attack.

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure he knew but didn't care.
I'm not being facetious.
If you respond to an attack in ways that you know are illegal, you are only slightly better, morally, than that guy; and legally not any better.

Ok lets take it out of the kids class, you teach your adults and you yourself would stare down an attacker/attackers and wait for them to strike first? Then you are right you probably wouldn't make it through the initial attack. Three men are standing in front of you demanding your life, who hits who first? I do, and I contemplate my morality as I live to go home to my family.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i know one thing, if a kenpo person hit someone and he go's to the ground from being hit, he should not be getting up any time soon,and yes i know what i'm talking about,because i had to do it a couple times in life.
now if someone tried to hit you, and you have to do something?and he go's down and stays there and don't try to get up, and you go over and kick him in the throat,well yes you then have a big problem, you see (in NJ) when the threat is no longer there and you still hit the person, you may very well have to come up with bail money.:soapbox:

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll leave alone the comparison of legality and morality in a self defense situation, it's a fools errand.

Remember "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"? Anyone messes with that and they've lost the right to ***** about my morality, and self defense is legal.

The commercial is typical of slap happy kempo against compliant partners. That doesn't mean we're all like that, or maybe not even that dojo. It's advertising, for crying out loud, who thinks any of it is based in reality?

As for anticipating that the "next" move will also fail? Absolutely, count on it. Something will invariably happen that you didn't anticipate, that's why continuing until the threat is removed is mandated. Honest, hard, unscripted, resistant opponent training is necessary (though it's probably too ugly to use in a commercial).

Latest Discussions