Kata and Juru same thing different word

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is the actuall difference between the two kata and juru. So far it would seems as if the juru's are not particular techniques but body positional movements and transitional points for the body to apply techniques. Clear as mud? In kata it seems that some techniques are very evident where others have to be explained, but within the juru there is a lot more that is hidden. I love theory of movement more than learning technique after technique. In prior years kata seemed boring, as first of all we learned little bunkai. But the jurus seem interesting to me. Different teachers maybe? I am new to silat. And when does a silat (guru) develope there own juru?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
That either is or isn't a very simple question. On the most basic level they're both patterned movement used to train improve martial arts skill. The not so simple answer is that it really all depends on whose kata and whose juru juru you're talking about. In Silat a juru can be a one- or two-person pattern depending on the system it comes from. It can be a body mechanics exercise, a technique or collection thereof, a group of root movements, something you pull technique out of or put knowledge into or any of a few other things. The same is true of kata. So the question of how they differ depends entirely on the person who put them together, the teacher who presents them, the student who practices them and the intention and understanding of all three.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tellner, isn't there a clear distinction between jurus and kata?

In my style, there are 36 jurus(es?) and those are the... building blocks of the style. It are quite short 'forms' of a maximum of 10 techniques and they are all different ways to take someone down (and defences against different attacks). So they are more... practically or something.
The langkah can be more compared to kata, I think, since that are very long things, it's against several assailants at once and it generally lasts longer than a jurus.

But I'm not sure ;).

Latest Discussions