Karateka Sound Off!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't have the ability to create a poll, but I thought it would be fun for everyone to post what style they practice after getting the idea from a few recent threads.

Please list your style and perhaps ryuha if you have one.

Me: Okinawan Goju-ryu (mostly Jundokan)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have the ability to create a poll, but I thought it would be fun for everyone to post what style they practice after getting the idea from a few recent threads.

Dancingalone: Okinawan Goju-ryu (mostly Jundokan)
Bill Mattocks: Okinawan Isshin-Ryu

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo but I stay up on my Police Combatives because I need too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wado Ryu - my first and best loved style
Tang Soo Do

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance Stacy, but you gotta tell me about American Karate. When I hear American karate what comes to mind is Kenpo, but I'm gonna assume that's not what you meant.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Me: Okinawan Goju-ryu (mostly Jundokan)
Me too: Okinawan Goju-ryu (mostly Jundokan)
icon10.gif

plus a bit of aikido to help understand the bunkai
icon14.gif

(Used to be Goju Kai)

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Me too: Okinawan Goju-ryu (mostly Jundokan)
icon10.gif

plus a bit of aikido to help understand the bunkai
icon14.gif

(Used to be Goju Kai)

If I ever visit Australia, I want to meet you in person, K-man. We have similar backgrounds between the goju and aikido. I'd be very curious to see if how we express ourselves martially is similar or not.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I ever visit Australia, I want to meet you in person, K-man. We have similar backgrounds between the goju and aikido. I'd be very curious to see if how we express ourselves martially is similar or not.
You're welcome to come and stay with us if you're ever down this way.
icon14.gif

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Isshinryu for a giant chunk of my life.

Jidokwan Taekwondo during university.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of my background is in Chinese systems (Northern Shaolin and a mishmash of southern styles my teachers were familiar with) but I spent about 4 years doing Isshinryu.

Next month I`m planning on starting in at an Ashihara Karate dojo.It`ll be nice to have training partners again.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance Stacy, but you gotta tell me about American Karate. When I hear American karate what comes to mind is Kenpo, but I'm gonna assume that's not what you meant.

What Blade96 posted is essentially accurate. I'm a supporter, obviously. :)

A few points: American Karate has an enormous following here in Texas. It is an external style--it doesn't involve any meditation, etc., and the influence of Asian philosophies is minimal. In terms of the way it "looks," it is heavily influenced by Shotokan and TaeKwonDo. Stances are low and wide. Only English is used (except for the word "uke", and some Japanese terms for various throws and takedowns, but we aren't required to use the Japanese). Instructors are called Ms. or Mr., not Sensei or Master; adult students are called Ms. or Mr. as well. Nobody is expected to bow lower than anyone else. Our sparring is sport point (which in Texas means hitting pretty damn hard, I might add), and we spar in a sideways fighting stance, kicking primarily with the front leg (Bill Wallace is a heavy influence.)