Karate Kid Remake will now be called Kung Fu Kid

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Karate Kid and Karate Kid 2 actually hold up pretty well. I watched them both with my 13 year old son and he loved them.

I don't think movies need to be remade unless they need to be updated to remain relevant... but they don't ask me! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Karate Kid and Karate Kid 2 actually hold up pretty well. I watched them both with my 13 year old son and he loved them.

I don't think movies need to be remade unless they need to be updated to remain relevant... but they don't ask me! :D

Apparently, those who decide such things figure that karate is now irrelevant, as vs. Kung Fu...

... of course, to be really state-of-the-art relevant, they'd have to call it The Brazilian Ju-Jitsu Kid.... doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though! :D

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently, those who decide such things figure that karate is now irrelevant, as vs. Kung Fu...

... of course, to be really state-of-the-art relevant, they'd have to call it The Brazilian Ju-Jitsu Kid.... doesn't quite have the same ring to it, though! :D

...not to mention the issues with having an old asian dude rolling around with a twelve year old boy...

:D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

LOL... they already made that one. It's called Never Back Down... and it was really bad! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL... they already made that one. It's called Never Back Down... and it was really bad! :D

Hmmmm.... why am I not surprised? Something with a title like that... it's a giveaway! :uhohh:

...not to mention the issues with having an old asian dude rolling around with a twelve year old boy...

:D

Yuck!

Clearly, a bad idea all around....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
bluekey88 said:
Yuck!

Clearly, a bad idea all around....
I know this is said in jest, but I find jokes like this are in poor taste.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, but these kind of remarks are right up there with lude jokes about women who train in a grappling art. I roll with the kids and females at class all the time. As with all arts, any adult who takes advantage of a kid should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. A grappling art like BJJ doesn't change the situation at all.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this is said in jest, but I find jokes like this are in poor taste.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, but these kind of remarks are right up there with lude jokes about women who train in a grappling art. I roll with the kids and females at class all the time. As with all arts, any adult who takes advantage of a kid should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. A grappling art like BJJ doesn't change the situation at all.

I certainly didn't mean to offend. I kid 'cause I love. BJJ is a great art.

However, in all seriousness, I think the general public would have an issue...given the general lack of undersatnding of BJJ (or any MA for that matter) .

Peace,
Erik

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu Kid I have no problem with. Keeping the same story line and characters, I do have a problem with.

I just want some clarification as to exactly why Karate Kid needs to be remade...wasn't Never Back Down bad enough? And it clearly rips the plot off.

I don't see anyone doing a remake of the original Star Wars trilogy...(I better not ever see that)...and it could be argued that the new trilogy was intended to do that, but it was made to show the back story for the first trilogy...a prequel.

Now, if someone wanted to cast Jackie Chan as a slightly younger Mr. Miyagi, I could see that happening. But the movie's a classic. It doesn't need to be retold. The original did a fine enough job with that one.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kung Fu Kid I have no problem with. Keeping the same story line and characters, I do have a problem with.

I just want some clarification as to exactly why Karate Kid needs to be remade...wasn't Never Back Down bad enough? And it clearly rips the plot off.

I don't see anyone doing a remake of the original Star Wars trilogy...(I better not ever see that)...and it could be argued that the new trilogy was intended to do that, but it was made to show the back story for the first trilogy...a prequel.

Now, if someone wanted to cast Jackie Chan as a slightly younger Mr. Miyagi, I could see that happening. But the movie's a classic. It doesn't need to be retold. The original did a fine enough job with that one.

They're remaking it because it is a classic story. People respond to it. I like the name change because it separates it somewhat from the original. There's room for multiple variations on a theme. Hell, the blues music genre is filled with umpty billion takes on the same three-chord progression.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad for the name change! If only Steve Martin had made "The Mauve Mountain Lion 1 & 2" instead of...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I certainly didn't mean to offend. I kid 'cause I love. BJJ is a great art.

However, in all seriousness, I think the general public would have an issue...given the general lack of undersatnding of BJJ (or any MA for that matter) .

Peace,
Erik
I know, dude. It's all good. It was just one of those things where I wanted to get that on the record. :D

For what it's worth, there have been several wrestling movies as well as one BJJ oriented movie (redbelt) and that kind of thing is never even an issue. I just watched Visionquest again a few weeks back, as a matter of fact.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ugh that was a horrible movie. I went to a friends house and she put it on and I couldn't sit through the entire thing.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are tons of things that bother me about that trailer, ...however I'll probably end up seeing the movie.:idunno:

Latest Discussions