"Karate Kid" "Joe Somebody" and "Legend of Bagger Vance" other movie parables

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been noticing the different views of what martial arts is or is not about.

I was just wondering what other martial artists opinions were about movies like "Joe Somebody" and "Karate Kid" type vein.

1. Though they don't actually 'teach' a philosophy, they do leave a 'message' for the audience. WHat is that message to you? Is it a good one? Is it "THE ONE" thing that all martial artists need to understand?

2. Even though the movie is about golf on the surface, the emotional and mental process of 'golf is life/life is golf' lesson teaching in "The Legend of Bagger Vance" that Wil Smith's character guides Mat Damon(sp?) through is aweful "martial artsy"/"Philosophical" so what connections to your martial arts training did you see, or not see?

3. Are these movies/martial arts parables creating or responding to what studying martial arts is "really about" to the general public?

I don't care so much about the 'artistic' aspects of these movies as much as the 'message/theme' aspect for discussion purposes.

O

OC Kid

I like the Karate Kid. Funny I was thinking of byuing it if its out on DVD. I already own KK2 and have for a long long time. I like the philosophy. Like I tell me students "Karate is for defense only" and "I hate fighting because someone always is getting hurt" (exchange I for myagi).

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, OC. Some of the stuff that Myagi said is actually true in MA. Karate Kid 1 actually sparked my interest in MA (I didn't start till later on in life, though). It is one of my favorite movies (and where I stole my screen name, obviously LOL).

O

OC Kid

It was on today conicidence hehehehe, First he told the kid he learned from his father then he had the kid work around his house "sanda the floor biga circles " It cracks me up because I can see the old masters when they taught father to son, giving the son all sorts of chores to do and really teaching them.
I think that is another reason I enjoy teaching my son and a couple of other students at my house..maybe I can get them to do the lawn technique (Mow the lawn or paint the shed I just built) :>)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Casting Pat Morita as Miyagi was brilliant. He does understand MA and has enough character to pull the role off with that tongue in cheek approach.
Daniel: "hey, where do all these cars come from?" (from the Wax-on Wax off scene)
Miyagi: "Detroit!"

Still the parable of biting the bullet and learning what you can really do and then facing your fears (the bullies for Daniel San) is a good one and a good flick for budding MA's to watch.

Adult wise... while it may have nothing "open" about MA... I found Shawshank Redemption's message of holding on to hope and being patient very stirring.

Rocky teaches me that by having a goal and working hard at it you can achieve it.

Stand By Me a message about friendship and that it's worth preserving and fighting for.

:idunno: There are a lot of well written movies out there among the garbage that can be found. Just have to know what you're looking for.

This is my 500th post! Finally! I have my first black belt in any thing... lol :asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WoooHooo!!!! MACaver! I thought I was a career color belt till I got my 2nd black belt here :D Way to go :) And I liked your post, too.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wish they would leave the MA's out of movies like "Joe Somebody" because it is completely unrealistic. They should just stick to the game sports with that message stuff. As for the Karate Kid, I can't stand the movies. The kid has a blackbelt too quick, and is swayed by another instructor and disrespects his own in the process. Also, in one of the movies, miyagi say "your best karate stay inside. NOW TIME LET OUT." He was getting his **** kicked before that, and all of a sudden, he's awsome. Ranting aside, I htink it gives an incorrect image of the MA's to the uneducated.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
I wish they would leave the MA's out of movies like "Joe Somebody" because it is completely unrealistic. They should just stick to the game sports with that message stuff. As for the Karate Kid, I can't stand the movies. The kid has a blackbelt too quick, and is swayed by another instructor and disrespects his own in the process. Also, in one of the movies, miyagi say "your best karate stay inside. NOW TIME LET OUT." He was getting his **** kicked before that, and all of a sudden, he's awsome. Ranting aside, I htink it gives an incorrect image of the MA's to the uneducated.
These movies are not intended to be docudrama/realistic depictions of the fighting side types of films. That is why I am referring to them as storytelling/message sending/parable types of films.

I don't think it is either right or wrong. I am asking what these movies are trying to 'say' martial arts training is about. What assumptions about martial arts from the general public are these types of movies perpetuating?

There are some great 'life messages' in these movies as long as you understand that martial arts is being used as a symbol/parable, the question is whether the message is getting through or is it worth it to send that message?

Latest Discussions