Kara-Ho Kenpo?

K

kkbb

Does anyone here study Kara-Ho Kenpo?
What are the similarities to American Kenpo?
What are the differences?
How many official techniques?

Just interested in knowing what commonalities William Chow's art has with EPAK.
Thanks

OP
K

kkbb

Maybe Mods can move this to other kenpo forum?

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I inquired as to any Kara-Ho folks that frequent this forum a few weeks ago, no replies yet. The curriculum I study is basically Cerio Kempo, but we are required to learn four Kara-Ho forms: Kwai Sun for brown, Kata Set 2 for shodan, Combination Kata for nidan, and Hoshi for sandan. I've no experience with EPAK, so I can't comment on similiarities. The forms are markedly different than the pinans and kata of Cerio Kempo. They are quite a bit longer and, in my opinion, much more dynamic.

OP
K

kkbb

Interesting....
I was very curious to know the dynamics of their self defences... since it was Chow who trained Parker...
Hopefully we get some response
TTYL

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight I just noticed in the newest issue of Martial Art that there's a big write up on Kara-ho Kenpo. Just thought I would throw this out.:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by kkbb
Interesting....
I was very curious to know the dynamics of their self defences... since it was Chow who trained Parker...
Hopefully we get some response
TTYL
I'm confused, how does Nick Cerio Kempo relate to Mr. Chow and Mr. Parker as related in your post? I know Mr. Cerio spent some time with Mr. Parker.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
William Chow was Professor Cerio's instructor and was the one
that suggested that he develop his own system, Nick Cerio's Kenpo.
( Professor Cerio spells kenpo with an "n"....).
Shihan James runs the NCK website and he covers the
history of NCK and Professor Cerio's instructors pretty well.
Professor Cerio's relationships with William Chow and Ed Parker are covered.
This site is easily the best place to go with questions regarding
Nick Cerio's Kenpo or Professor Cerio.
www.nickcerioskenpo.com

OP
K

kkbb

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Tonight I just noticed in the newest issue of Martial Art that there's a big write up on Kara-ho Kenpo. Just thought I would throw this out.:asian:
Where might I find this?

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mark L
I inquired as to any Kara-Ho folks that frequent this forum a few weeks ago, no replies yet. The curriculum I study is basically Cerio Kempo, but we are required to learn four Kara-Ho forms: Kwai Sun for brown, Kata Set 2 for shodan, Combination Kata for nidan, and Hoshi for sandan. I've no experience with EPAK, so I can't comment on similiarities. The forms are markedly different than the pinans and kata of Cerio Kempo. They are quite a bit longer and, in my opinion, much more dynamic.

Hi Mark!
I was intrigued by your post. I notice that you list that you do Cerio Kenpo. However, you mention that you do Sam Kuoha's Kara Ho Kempo forms as well...
I know that Kara Ho Kempo is or was represented by Mr. Bruce Titcomb. I was fortunate enough to interview Mr. Kuoha at Mr. Titcomb's studio. I know the kara ho people are very "selective" in regards to who learns the system and learns the forms. The forms are primarily the invention of Kuoha based on his kenpo/kempo training with prof chow and other instructors, hence the length of the forms. Prof. Chow primarily taught basics,techniques and "lines" [a series of basics in a stright line that simulatew a short form]. I remember seeing Mr. Kuoha do certain techniques, I said at two points..."That's from Chow!", Yo which Mr. Kuoha said "yes,it is,but how do you know?" LOL!

In regards to the EPAKK influence in Cerio's Kenpo,it is limited due to the short time that professor cerio actually trained with Mr. Parker. Prof. Cerio refered to Mr. Parker as his "coach" as opposed to his instructor.

When, Prof. Cerio returned from his first visit with Prof. Chow in the 1960's, he was distressed because Chow's art was "so different" from what he had learned from George Pesare and others...

I'd like to find out more on your trainining and who your instructor is as well...
Hope I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
I'm confused, how does Nick Cerio Kempo relate to Mr. Chow and Mr. Parker as related in your post? I know Mr. Cerio spent some time with Mr. Parker.

Hi Seig!
To answer your question, certain elements of of professor chow's system were incorporated into prof cerio's system, notablly the form "hansuki" and certain techniques he, and William "Bill" Marcierelli of Fall River,MA studied when they trained with Bill Chun Sr. [Prof. Chow's senior student] and Prof. Chow himself.

There are certain "master key moves" that are obviously from Prof. Chow. I've been researching the historical breakdown of the system of EPAKK and it's contributing arts. After working with individuals such as Bill Chun Jr., Sam Kuoha, "Sonny" Gascon and "Kimo" Ferreira I've gotten numerous insights into the history of kenpo.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, Prof. Cerio's actual training was limited to the short time that knew one another. I'd have to detail it out more via personal message or phone call.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

can you tell me the name of this martial art magazine so that i can buy it because i want to read it?

is it a September issue ???
thank you

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Originally posted by KENPOJOE
Hi Seig!
To answer your question, certain elements of of professor chow's system were incorporated into prof cerio's system, notablly the form "hansuki" and certain techniques he, and William "Bill" Marcierelli of Fall River,MA studied when they trained with Bill Chun Sr. [Prof. Chow's senior student] and Prof. Chow himself.

There are certain "master key moves" that are obviously from Prof. Chow. I've been researching the historical breakdown of the system of EPAKK and it's contributing arts. After working with individuals such as Bill Chun Jr., Sam Kuoha, "Sonny" Gascon and "Kimo" Ferreira I've gotten numerous insights into the history of kenpo.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, Prof. Cerio's actual training was limited to the short time that knew one another. I'd have to detail it out more via personal message or phone call.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

did you learn nick cerios kempo system ?

you have quite knowledge of kara ho system. I would like to know more about this system. Where did you meet bill chun jr, sam kuoha, sony, kimo ???

i assume you met them at nick cerios's studio in MA ???

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

by the way, if anybody here knows where i can find out more information about karaho, please let me know.

if karaho articles appear in magazines, please let me know which magazine so that i can read them.

please also include issue number of martial art magazine so that i can locate it quickly. I don't want to subscribe 49000 magazines :_

thank you very much

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carries two books on Chinese kara-Ho Kempo. Both are by Sam Kuoha with Ka'imi Kuoha.

First Book is Fundamental Practice and Techniques. It covers some history, exercise and stretching. Basic stances, blocking, striking and kicking techniques. Cost is $16.95 and is not worth it.

Second Book is Secrets of Ki and internal Power
This book shows some Self defense techniques but the main focus is on Ki. Has Breathing techniques to increase your ki. The book also cost $16.95. Again I don't think it is worth that much, maybe if it was sold as a set.
Bob :asian:

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's working now. Shortly after I clicked on the link I got my brain back and just typed in the address like you suggested. :D

Latest Discussions