Kajukenpo Pai Lum

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone any knowledge of this system? Is this an off shoot of Al Gene's Kajukenpo? Sounds very interesting!!! :asian:

S

Shiatsu

I believe it is a offshoot of Kajukenbo. Sigung John Bishop is on here, he would be able to give the answer.:asian:

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I'm not real familiar with that offshoot. It's got a small following on the east coast, so perhaps Shihan Shurus (Karazempo) can answer your question.
Below is a biography on the founder from the Kajukenbo Cafe.

WILLIAM R. GREGORY, FEB 27, 1944- NOV. 4, 2001

Bill Gregory, Pai Meng Hu, White Mighty Tiger, an adopted grandson of the late Dr. Daniel K. Pai, was a martial artist from the depths of his soul. As one of the first in this country to train and teach martial arts in formal and traditional ways, Bill Gregory was a pioneer in the martial arts. A well-loved, much honored and deeply respected man, he was inducted into the American Karate Association's Hall of Fame as the "Gentle Giant of Martial Arts".

Born to an Italian immigrant soldier father and a loving, artistic mother, Bill carried a deep warrior's hunger for beauty, grace and personal excellence. He appreciated the beauty of nature and cultivated a Japanese garden in the backyard of his home that would rival one of royalty. As a young man, his interest grew and fueled his pursuit of the martial arts and ancient weapons. This allure flourished into a lifetime commitment and dedication to training, teaching, mentoring and a quest for excellence in the martial arts.

In his early years, Bill Gregory studied many styles of martial arts, attaining levels of excellence in Japanese Kenpo, Chinese Kenpo Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido and Pai Lum Kung Fu. He received his training and the foundation of his life long commitment from many of the great instructors including Kili Kujiama, the late Professor Nick Cerio, Master Mas Oyama, Bernard DeCasare, Master Tadashi Yamashi ta and the late Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai.

Bill Gregory's grace, humility and power, caught the eye of Dr. Daniel Kane Pai (Pai Lum, White Dragon system) in the late 1960's and a new aspect of his training began. Over the next 25 years, Bill Gregory invited Dr. Pai to his Kajukenpo School of Karate in Rhode Island, and they hosted numerous clinics and workshops. In 1990, Dr. Pai promoted Bill Gregory to the rank of 7th level Dragon; an honored position held only by a handful of men. Their professional association, as well as a deep respect and friendship held Dr. Pai and Bill Gregory together until Dr. Pai's death in 1993.

Bill Gregory founded the Kajukenpo Pai Lum Federation (KPLF) for the sole purpose of education men, women and children in the ancient traditions of the martial arts. Grandmaster Bill Gregory dedicated his life to preserving the traditional training and teachings of Kajukenpo Pai Lum. Throughout his life, he held positions in his local community and within the martial arts community, to insure the ancient ways were preserved. Some of these positions included the Rhode Island Coordinator for the Better Business Bureau of Martial Arts, the East Coast Director for the American Karate Association and the Deputy Secretary General U.S. Chinese Kuo Shou Federation.

Grandmaster Gregory believed in the spirit of the Dragon. A spirit that encourages us to help others in whatever way we can. The best way he knew how was through the Kajukenpo Pai Lum Federation. Over the years, he directed and hosted a variety of martial arts tournaments raising money for charities such as Muscular Dystrophy and the Big Brothers and Sisters. For the last 13 years, he was the Grand Marshal at the White Dragon Fitness Center's "Kick for Cancer" tournament in New Hampshire, raising thousands of dollars for local hospice programs.

In 1995 at a ceremony in Naples, Florida, after a traditional year of mourning for Dr. Pai, Bill Gregory was awarded the highest honor any martial artist can receive; the title of Grandmaster. He was a humble man at heart and it was with a full sense of honor and duty that he accepted the position of Grandmaster of the Kajukenpo part of the Pai Lum family. Grandmaster Thomas St. Charles, Pai Shinzan, first adopted son of Lung Pai (Dr. Pai), granted the title.

As the leader of the Kajukenpo Pail Lum Family, Grandmaster Gregory's endless desire was that his family remained strong and continually growing in the traditions of the ancient martial arts. In his plan for the future and by his final letter, Grandmaster Gregory named a senior Disciple, Georganne R. Verigan, Zhong Hu (Loyal Tiger), 7th level Black Sash, as the new leader of the Kajukenpo Pai Lum Federation.

Grandmaster Gregory modeled his own philosophy. Pai Lum is a way of life which encourages everyone to realize their full potential and to be better people by training body, soul and spirit. He dedicated his life to sharing the tools, skills and values necessary to cultivate such growth and in the end, his final words were those of sharing this love. He was indeed, an amazing man and one of the few that deserved to be called DRAGON.

Written by Master Georganne Verigan

K

Karazenpo

Hello, without looking it up for more detail, I can give you some information off the top of my head. Daniel Pai was taught his family art of Pai Lum Kung Fu in Hawaii. The system 'allegedly' came about when Chinese pirates were caught in a storm and shipwrecked on the northern coast of Okinawa. They were so greatful of their survival that they gave up their criminal ways and taught the native Okinawans their version of Southern Shaolin Kung Fu which was blended into the Okinawan Te of that region, I believe Daniel Pai was taught the art by his grandfather. Some feel the system is 80 per cent Kung Fu and 20 per cent Okinawan karate. I also believe that Gm. Pai was in Hawaii at the time of Mitose/Chow/Emperado so their could be some cross influences there. Gm. Bill Gregory was a black belt of Professor Nick Cerio and Professor Cerio was a black belt of Gm. S. George Pesare. Gm. Pesare was in turn a black belt of Sijo Victor "Sonny" Gascon (Co-founder of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu-a direct subsystem of Kajukenbo) and Gm. Gascon was in turn a black belt of Sifu John Leoning of Sijo Adriano Emperado's Kajukenbo, hense, you have Bill Gregory's main influences being Daniel K. Pai of Pai Lum Kung Fu and Nick Cerio of Nick Cerio's Kenpo-a subsystem of Kajukenbo and you end up with an 'eclectic blending' called Kajukenpo Pai Lum. The late Gm. Bill Gregory was a very highly respected martial artist on the east coast and I'm sure world wide. Professor Rick Mattioli, a police officer on the Southboro Police Dept. in Massachusetts is very knowledgable on Gm. Gregory. Just punch in Southboro Police Dept. and Rick has a section in which you can contact him. Respectfully, Shihan Joe Shuras

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by donald
Has anyone any knowledge of this system? Is this an off shoot of Al Gene's Kajukenpo? Sounds very interesting!!! :asian:

Hi Folks,
I've had the pleasure of knowing GM for several years before his unfortunate passing and it was a joy to know him. I was fortunate enough to test before him at my studio for my Fifth Degree Black Belt in Kajukenpo/Chuan Fa/Kenpo-Kempo through his lineage. But he was more than instructor, he was a friend and I miss him deeply.
The style itself is comprised of several different styles that "Shir Tai Gung" Gregory studied over his long and illustrious career, most notably Shorinji Kempo, Sil Lum, Kenpo Karate, & Pai Lum [White Dragon Kung Fu] Bill Gregory was one of Nick Cerio's early black belts and was a tournament competitor, breaker and fighter.
I'd like to put some pictures of GM Gregory so people will see "The Gentle Giant"
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

youngboot

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for this info I had a Hard time looking for this info. I study Kajukenpo Here in Nova Scotia Canada and i love it. Very tradition art feel like im training in temple at times. lol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! :wavey:

Mr. Sheldon Bedell, who posts here as tshadowchaser, may also be able to help you find more information about Pai Lum. He'd likely welcome a PM on the subject.

Latest Discussions