kajukenbo

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you're asking Brian.:idunno:

Are you looking at this art on how it would do in the cage or did you mean to put this question in the Kenpo section but put it in MMA by mistake???

Mike

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kajukenbo was the first American mixed martial art. Here is a short discription.

Kajukenbo
Kajukenbo is an internationally known martial art founded in Hawaii in 1949. The evolution of the art began in 1947 when Adriano D. Emperado, Joe Holck, Frank Ordonez, George C. Chang, and Peter Choo formed the infamous Black Belt Society. These men were experts in different martial arts. They trained with each other in secret trading and refining techniques. They were known for making challenges and testing themselves in the streets.

By 1949 they had systemized a new martial art that combined the best techniques of all their styles. The system was named "Kajukenbo".

KA Peter Choo’s contribution to Kajukenbo was the Korean Karate system of Tang Soo Do (Way of the Chinese Hand). Tang Soo Do is a Hard style known for linear punching and strong kicks. It is related to Shotokan Karate.

JU Joe Holck contributed the arts of Kodokan Judo and Danzan Ryu Jujitsu. Frank Ordonez was an expert in Sekieno Ryu Jujitsu. Judo (Gentle Way) is a sport version of Jujitsu. It has a strong emphasis on throwing techniques. Jujitsu (Gentle Art) employs many of the same techniques but has more emphasis on joint locks and choking techniques.

KEN Professor Adriano D. Emperado contributed the art of Kenpo. The Kenpo (Fist Law) that was used in the creation of Kajukenbo is a Japanese martial art based on Shaolin Kung Fu. It emphasizes rapid fire hand strikes and low kicking techniques.

BO The "bo" in Kajukenbo represents Chinese boxing (kung fu). George C. Chang contributed the art of Sil Lum Pai Kung Fu. Kung fu is known primarily for its circular movements.

Today Kajukenbo is practiced world wide. Of the five founders, only Adriano Emperado continued to spread and improve Kajukenbo. There are four branches of Kajukenbo recognized by Processor Emperado: Original Method ( sometimes called the Kenpo Karate branch), Chuan Fa, Tum Pai, and Won Hop Kuen Do. There are also many subsystems such as the Gaylord Method, Kajukembo, and the Noble system. There are also hundreds of arts that originated from kajukenbo such as Shaolin Kempo and Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. Professor Emperado has always encouraged his students to learn other arts and innovate.

Kajukenbo has had a huge influence on martial arts in America. Most of the Kenpo/Kempo on the east coast is connected to Kajukenbo in some way. I think it is a great art. It has a traditonal structure but allows for personal expression. As with all martial arts a person's success in Kajukenbo will depend on your own talent, hard work, and the quality of instruction. Seniors in the art like Mr. John Bishop could answer more specific questions.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about kajukenbo, but my friend Restita teaches this style. She just joined MT earlier this month under the username kyudogrrl; try sending her a PM.

kyudogrrl66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wild Bill pretty much summed it up. I started out in the Chuan Fa branch of Kajukenbo, then absorbed into the Wun Hop Kuen Do branch under Sifu Al Dacascos. "Hard in training, easy in battle" was the motto at our school when I was coming up the color ranks. Not a night went by without someone getting their bells rung, fat lip, swollen eye, or fell on someone else's knee. It was hard, but it was fun at the same time. Oh, we truely did try to practice control....it wasn't like we went to class planning to smash the snot out of fellow classmates, but when the mindset goes from "class" to "street",.......well, par for the course. :)In 1997, I had the opportunity to go to Oahu and find enough time to play tourist and visit the historic "Palama Settlement", where the original 5 founders collaborated. Although the settlement was surrounded by fences, I peered through the gates with a sense of awe...."touching history", so to speak.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. John Bishop would also be another excellent source to contact regarding Kajukenbo. He would have many insights to this outstanding art ;)

Latest Discussions