Kajukenbo Clips

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some very interesting Kaju clips that I thought I'd share. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow,
the first clip was great. The transitition from Kaju hand techniques to the grappling take downs flowed very nicely.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did'nt realize how kenpo like kajukenbo can appear! The only exsposure I have ever had to any kajukenbo like art was KI Kajukenpo. That appeared to be much stiffer than the Kajukenbo I watched on these clips. Are these clips a fair representation of the art? I was really surprised at the speed, and fluidity of the demos.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2nd clip had a technique off of the grab and punch, but it looked alot like Thundering Hammers, as far as the forearm strike and hit to the back of the head.

Here is a little bio on Mr. Garcia:
http://www.kajukenbocafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=131.0

I'm sure Mr. Bishop would be able to provide more insight on this art.

Mike

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did'nt realize how kenpo like kajukenbo can appear! The only exsposure I have ever had to any kajukenbo like art was KI Kajukenpo. That appeared to be much stiffer than the Kajukenbo I watched on these clips. Are these clips a fair representation of the art? I was really surprised at the speed, and fluidity of the demos.

I'm not familiar with "KI Kajukenpo" or it's possible connection to Kajukenbo. Unless it's Algene Cauralia's "Kajukenpo" which has a strong Okinawan influence.
These clips are representative of the "Original Method". The other methods are a little more soft and circular, but with the same blending of jujitsu and judo.
If you see some resemblances to EPAK, of course it's because Emperado and Parker had the same kenpo teacher. The deferences are the directions they took after they left Prof. Chow.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Bishop,

Regarding your son's brawl. One word truly comes to mind,WOW! Now about your response to my earlier post. I was indeed refering to Mr.Caurali's(sp?)Karate Institute Kajukenpo. The head instructor of one of the kenpo studios I attended, and the owner operator of a KI studio in our area. Had a comparative seminar back in the late 80's. I thought it was pretty interesting. I think our rapid strikes were very new to the KI students.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop,

You made my night. I love when the youn'ins go at it. Thanks for sharing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to complain but I feel that in the latter vids the guy is just to far away from his opponent. Am I wrong?
Sean

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr.Bishop,

Regarding your son's brawl. One word truly comes to mind,WOW! Now about your response to my earlier post. I was indeed refering to Mr.Caurali's(sp?)Karate Institute Kajukenpo. The head instructor of one of the kenpo studios I attended, and the owner operator of a KI studio in our area. Had a comparative seminar back in the late 80's. I thought it was pretty interesting. I think our rapid strikes were very new to the KI students.

Well, it's not my son. It's Kim Kingi's son, and GM Rick Kingi's grandson from Los Angeles Kajukenbo.
Caraulia went up to brown belt in Kajukenbo then moved to east. He actually won the Robert Trias's first USKA world championship as a brown belt. He later affliated with the USKA and completed his black belt in the Shorei/Shuri Ryu system that Trias taught. So they have a very strong Okinawan and Japanese influence.
I think the only Kajukenbo school in Ohio is Ray Anderson's school in Lorain Co.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Bishop,

Sorry about the mix up regarding the youngun. Thanks also for the history about Mr.Caraulia's Kajukenpo. Whatever happened to Mr.Caraulia? His system seemed to be pretty big on the south eastern side of Cleveland,Ohio.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
That "ae kajukenbo" clip was pretty kewl. Although I would have liked to see more of the kenpo guy's action. He looked to move quite well. Was that one seminar? There was alot going on. The grapplers appeared to have their material down too.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question would be to all the clips. Does anyone know if they're just free styling, or doing actual techniques?

They're not part of the core cirriculum of the "Original Method", but they are additional variations that Angel Garcia has added to his school & seminar cirriculum.