Kad Chuek

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do you think rope fighting will ever be practiced outside of Southeast Asia? I think as the UFC and other such events gain in popularity, other sport systems like Muay Kad Chuek will gain in popularity!

This is actually a video of Myanmar Lethwei... but its the nearest rope fighting I could find, hehe. :asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by rope fighting? Is it because they are fighting in a ring as opposed to a cage? If that's what you mean, then they already do it in the US. Pride uses a ring and so does K1 and they both go to the US. Otherwise, what are you talking about? I'm unclear....

OP
Thunder Foot

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by rope fighting? Is it because they are fighting in a ring as opposed to a cage? If that's what you mean, then they already do it in the US. Pride uses a ring and so does K1 and they both go to the US. Otherwise, what are you talking about? I'm unclear....
Sorry if that was unclear. When I talk about "ropes", I 'm not speakin on the ropes that line a ring. I referencing Bare Knuckle Muay Thai, or wrapped fist Muay, ala Muay Boran.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if that was unclear. When I talk about "ropes", I 'm not speakin on the ropes that line a ring. I referencing Bare Knuckle Muay Thai, or wrapped fist Muay, ala Muay Boran.

Oh...LOL. Sorry, my bad. Anyway, I don't think that will be sanctioned again because of liability issues. Remember, the original fights in the UFC didn't have gloves, so it was sanctioned at some time. That's my .02 on the issue.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well the only place I have heard this happening is on the Thai/Burma border. I am sure there are a few places in northern Thailand that still continue this form of muay boran. I can't imagine it ever happening anywhere else mainly due to the damage it causes and the major liability issues that would be involved. It would be nice to see it outside of Thailand. I know Master Toddy out of Las Vegas has taken fighters to Thailand to fight in Muay Kad Chuek.

OP
Thunder Foot

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well the only place I have heard this happening is on the Thai/Burma border. I am sure there are a few places in northern Thailand that still continue this form of muay boran. I can't imagine it ever happening anywhere else mainly due to the damage it causes and the major liability issues that would be involved. It would be nice to see it outside of Thailand. I know Master Toddy out of Las Vegas has taken fighters to Thailand to fight in Muay Kad Chuek.

Yes, this is true. Don't fighters give up most of their liabilities when they sign the contract however? Maybe as the UFC becomes more popular it will become more acceptable. After all, they did just accept usage of elbows in Kickboxing events... though they maybe limited. I think it would be great to see this kind of fighting. :asian:

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You never know. It may happen one day. Remember, the UFC was bare knuckle in the early years. I know I would love to see it happen in the U.S. I guess if the fighter signed a liability release, there would be no liability issue.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
People don't want to see fighters possibly die on the mat. Remember when that guy died in the ring when WWE was WWF? That type of match is no longer allowed because someone died. That's a possibility of why it won't be allowed. Yes, that still exists with gloves, but for some reason, having gloves on makes it more acceptable.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually in the Kad Chuek matches that I have seen, very few punches were thrown. The fighters used mostly the other weapons of muay thai and the punches were few. So in a sense, there was no real difference in the danger aspect than in a regular muay thai match.

OP
Thunder Foot

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I don't really see much difference in a Nuk Muay wearing ropes versus gloves. The knees are still equally devastating, as well as the elbows. I don't know if its allowed, but I've seen elbows to the crown in Muay fights as well. Doesn't sound too far fetched to me. I would think the threat of death would be just as equal in both forms of competition. :asian:

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know why, but the Kad Chuek fights tend to have more excitement. Maybe it's due to greater likelihood of a knock out.