just wondering

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there anybody that teaches yu sool here in the states.
And if so is there a website for it.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Choi, Young Sool taught Yu sul/Yawara. However being the founder of hapkido I guess the answer would be no. Choi used all three names for what ultimately became hapkido.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Mystic,

None that I've ever heard of,but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

From what I have learned..the term "Yu Sool" is most commonly used to describe a particular approach to technique,not as a term used to describe the art itself. The term Yu Sool just means soft/yielding technique/Art(s)..which can be applied to a wide range of motion and theory.

It's very generic in a sense..the same hanja can be read as "Ju Jutsu"..which is in itself a generic term used to denote a method..not a style. I hope this helped.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Paul,

There is an art in Korea that is called Yu Sul... its proponents claim that it is an originally Korean art that was taken to Japan and taught to Japanese, where it became Jujutsu, then died out in Korea, and was brought back to life a few decades ago... I can't find their website at the moment, but I know I've seen a link to it on some other forum.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
howard said:
Paul,

There is an art in Korea that is called Yu Sul... its proponents claim that it is an originally Korean art that was taken to Japan and taught to Japanese, where it became Jujutsu, then died out in Korea, and was brought back to life a few decades ago... I can't find their website at the moment, but I know I've seen a link to it on some other forum.

Good stuff,Howard.

I know that it used to be an art on it's own in earlier times..and some of the techniques that survived were assimilated into Hapkido and the like. Some people have also theorized that it was originally a mixture of CMA and other native influences. Why are the KMA saturated with these kind of stories? :rolleyes: Either way..we'll probably never know for sure.

I would really like to see what the reconstruction effort looks like. Very nice.:asian: I'll have to search for that.