Just Conversation !

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kaith said that he wanted to try to keep the threads on the subject, so I figured I would start a thread for members to just conversate.
:asian:

L

lost_tortoise

Okay, I'll start. I know I am being nitpicky here, but I would appreciate it if you refrained from using gibberish such as CONVERSATE in your posts....and preferably in speech. All too often these days, I see our language being mercilessly butchered by such vernacular. I found it charming and colorful at first, but I am now noticing a disturbing trend. These words and phrases are becoming common usage! This is damned scary folks! The common usage of such colloquialisms can only lead to an eventual dictionary acceptance. Do we really desire such a cataclysmic increase in the degredation of our society?!? Give it some thought and let me know what you think.

D

Disco

So in the words of the most illustrious Mike Tyson and I quote, " I'm not sure if I cranialize on a subject, that you won't missconstew the flaver of what I'm regergatating":D

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didnt mean to raise any hairs on your backside, I am not an english teacher (god help my students if I were ) so if I used a word out of text or made up a word "SORRY"

R

rmcrobertson

Um...I actually am an English teacher, and it's, "converse."

Not that anybody did this on this thread, but I'll tell ya what bugs me about some of the language on forums. It's the combination of simple mistakes and inaccuracies (about which, who cares?) with overblown, pseudo-technical, pseudo-scientific, and pseudo-military language.

I tend to connect it with maartial arts students who can't do the basics right, but want to learn form 1,223 or the Secret Ninja Death Touch....and have fancy confused with good.

Reminds me of Professor Irwin Corey...

L

LostGrrlDies

We're from Florida. Give us a break. While we do try to speak proper Engrrrrrish most of the time, we are located just south of Georgia. So on occasion our southern roots do slip out from behind the curtains. I generally speak very well. Often people ask me if I am from New Jersey or New York (as many of my friends are from both, so I have picked up a mild accent - guilt by association I suppose). The same when my aunt pops over from England a couple of times a year. I'm usually with her nonstop for a month, so I start picking up her goofy dialect. Give me a day with my redneck, tobacco chewin', country listenin', animal huntin' family and the next day I have quite the southern 'twang'.
:D
I can assure you I would be quite the challenge to any linguist.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know is I wish you people would keep your foot off the blasted Samoflange.

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we should conserve the conversation.

T

tkdcanada

Actually, language is a constantly changing thing and changes with the times and society. What was slang yesterday and today may very well be perfect language tomorrow. One language may, in time split into two or completely die off. It just depends on the people who give the language life. So just chill and go with the flow. It's not so bad. What worse is grammar mistakes. Now that hurts the ears!

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
As Winston Churchill is reputed to have said: ""This is the kind of thing up with which I will not put!"

Regarding the ending of sentences with prepositions, he is also reputed to have said, "This is the kind of thing the English people will not stand for."

Best,

Steve Lamade

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
to the statement, were from florida, its now understandable, we lived in florida for 16 months, ware else do car dealers advertise, "yu all spoke here".

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did'nt start this thread to get a class on the english language!
Let us converse about something else.

G

Galvatron

Originally posted by Technopunk
All I know is I wish you people would keep your foot off the blasted Samoflange.

What the %$#@ is a "Samoflange" ??

;)

L

LostGrrlDies

Originally posted by DAC..florida
I did'nt start this thread to get a class on the english language!
Let us converse about something else.

Should we talk about the daisies or the weather?
:partyon:

G

Galvatron

Originally posted by Technopunk
I have to do that again.

:rofl:

I should have known that Terrataur didnt mean us any harm when the sword of omens didn't obey me, and anyway it was just plain stupid to assume it might be bad...just...what the #(*$&# am I talking about???

R

rmcrobertson

Gee, I thought I'd been clear.

Couldn't care less about people's spelling--English has only had standardized spelling for an hundred years or so, and nobody on the forums is trying to get a job or do something else in which precision counts.

And I couldn't care less about the grammar, since all great writers--as I've several times posted--break all the rules...

What I care about is the claim to being more-correct-than others while ignoring simple rules (however transient those rules are); what I care about, as I wrote, is the pseudo-science and pseudo-military/professional language.

I also don't much care for the pseudo-Biblical and the filled-with-wisdom, but wotthehell.

Latest Discussions