Just a little Gem I found (Video)

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
So here is just a video I found while randomly searching chi-sau. I don't know what lineage this is, and personally I would rather keep that ***** out of this thread. Lets just look and enjoy for what it is.

All the best,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. I can see the guys having fun with some of these tonight. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I appreciate that the grappling techniques are done correctly. I like that they were changing levels through the legs and not by bending over.

Overall, I'm impressed. I wouldn't count on the stepping over technique to counter the double leg. Planting the right leg back is a good idea, but a grappler will likely switch to a single leg at that point. If you step over, you're going to end up stepping all the way over your opponent, giving him your back.

The technique shown from guard was solid. John Will once wrote on his blog that he disagreed with the prevailing wisdom in BJJ to teach closed guard techniques first because a beginner, particularly where self defense is involved, will want to open his guard, create space and stand up. So, putting the feet on the hips, kicking back and creating space is a great idea and well done.

He might benefit from standing up without leaning forward. We're taught a technical stand up by bringing a leg underneath you while keeping your head up. This keeps you back, keeps your guard up and might save you from an easy punch or kick to the noggin while standing. The video below goes through the process in detail, but the specific motion I'm referring to comes up at about 1:55

[video=youtube_share;Thp7ipnjyTI]http://youtu.be/Thp7ipnjyTI[/video]

This was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing it!

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate that the grappling techniques are done correctly. I like that they were changing levels through the legs and not by bending over.

Overall, I'm impressed. I wouldn't count on the stepping over technique to counter the double leg. Planting the right leg back is a good idea, but a grappler will likely switch to a single leg at that point. If you step over, you're going to end up stepping all the way over your opponent, giving him your back.

The technique shown from guard was solid. John Will once wrote on his blog that he disagreed with the prevailing wisdom in BJJ to teach closed guard techniques first because a beginner, particularly where self defense is involved, will want to open his guard, create space and stand up. So, putting the feet on the hips, kicking back and creating space is a great idea and well done.

He might benefit from standing up without leaning forward. We're taught a technical stand up by bringing a leg underneath you while keeping your head up. This keeps you back, keeps your guard up and might save you from an easy punch or kick to the noggin while standing. The video below goes through the process in detail, but the specific motion I'm referring to comes up at about 1:55

Learned something similar from Chi Sim Weng Chun, but the line I learned was mixed w/ BJJ, so it's hard to say if it's native knowledge.

Dog boxing and a bunch of ground kicking books/videos I've seen do similar as well.

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. I can see the guys having fun with some of these tonight. :)

Ya it gave me some pretty interesting idea's. On that last one where you throw your leg over, from the single leg you can totally drop and mounty your opponent :)

I just found this video very informative and extrememly exiting to watch :)

All the best,

Jeff

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score

I was impressed with the level changes as well, i've been wrestling as long as i've been doing martial arts, so that simple (yet important) prepatory movement was not missed and much apperciated by this guy right here.

Honestly I don't think you can even remotely pull off the "step over" defense for a double leg, but with the single it might work. But in wrestling "Where the head goes; The body follows", and I am big into head control if your being shot on. There are so many counters out there, some put you in a very advantageous position, some just let you escape, personally I try to find the ones (first and foremost that work) that will make me able to strike at any time. Giving my back is something I refuse to do anymore. While collegate wrestling or even free style, its ok, but Greco-Roman and in MMA, its just signing your own death warrant!

Thanks for the reply and the video :)

Jeff

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm loving this thread. @Jeff, like Steve, I'm not too sure about the "step-over" counter in the first video, but then it's not a move I've tried ...yet! Ironically, for a WC guy, I usually find myself in the role of the grappler who is attacking with the arm-drag, double, or single leg. It seems like good aggression, forward driving momentum, and sticking tight on your opponent as you take him to the ground might make some of those counters difficult to pull off?

@Steve, thanks for that great clip. Actually, it's one I've used before and our group trained using that. The techniques are very similar and compatible with the old WT stuff I learned. Nowadays, I do less of that stuff. Jacked up knees and back. I really miss it though.

OP
jeff_hasbrouck

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm loving this thread. @Jeff, like Steve, I'm not too sure about the "step-over" counter in the first video, but then it's not a move I've tried ...yet! Ironically, for a WC guy, I usually find myself in the role of the grappler who is attacking with the arm-drag, double, or single leg. It seems like good aggression, forward driving momentum, and sticking tight on your opponent as you take him to the ground might make some of those counters difficult to pull off?

Alright Geezwe; I will make this as simple as I can, but realize there is alot to this.

First and foremost; When your training in the "aggressor" or "Opponent" role opposite of your style (VT) in this case, and you actually know what your doing; You are one of the few people in the class who can gain a proper respect for the technique used against you.

Example: When I was in the San Antonio gym, I was one of the few guys with a grappling background, so when we learned anti-grappling techniques (WT); I was one of the few people who really knew if it worked. The other guys couldn't tell because they have no notion of how grappling works.

When you are being the "aggressor" and you go 1/2 to full speed, you will realize what really counters your grappling technique. This is very important. If you don't have someone in your gym who has a grappling background (and this isn't just to geezer, this is to everyone) you will never truley know if this works or not, because you need a bonafied grappler to test out the theory of the technique.

When you feel the VT guy really breaking down your structure and controlling your grappling technique, you will know that it is a legitamite move. This may take some tweaking on the the WC practictioners part, but I have faith that any technique can be adapted to YOUR advantage.

Straight up, I've been grappling since I was 5 years old (20 years), and the main thing that sticks in my head is not brute strength (Like so many WC contemporaries might think) but rather technique and structure, just as us WT/VT/WC/VC guys think.

A good grappler will not try to overpower you with brute strenght untill all other possiblities are exhausted. So how do we counter and intelligent fighter/grappler? By knowing and training their techniques.

You say that you are often put in the position of the grappler yes? Well that is OUTSTANDING for you! But what about your Sifu, Training partners, students? Do they get to experience these techniques from the aggressors position? If they don't, they will not have a well founded understanding of the technique, or what it can truley do.

Again, I wish I could come visit, you seem so easy to work with; And I would absolutely love to hang out with your group. When I get back in the oil fields and start making bank, I can start travelling agian.

I don't know exactly how much grappling experience you have but let me get straight to the point and give you the best advice I can:

There are three main thing a grappler wants when engaging an opponent: A superior angle, a structured attack, A quick and decisive attack that takes the oppoennt unawares (usually a fake prepratory movement (feint) to ensure the technique goes off without a hitch.)

This is just how we think. We want (1) to occupy the center (Good angle), (2) to always maintain proper stucture (structured attack), and a quick and decisive attack (for us it means non-telegraphing attack.

These idea's are not unknown to WT/VT/WC/VC practitioners. These are our bread and butter lol. The reason grapplers pose such a threat to us, is the fact that they are not so different from us in theory, just execution.

So here is the basic way to control a grappler or even a WT practioner;

-ARREST their forward momentum: When a grappler shoots on you, you need to disrupt their attack by stopping their forward momentum; ie. pushing your hips forward, and locking them in place so as to not let your opponent roll right over you (on the flip side, you present an easier target to manipulate when you get rigid as all WT people know).

CONTROL their momentum: With a grappler this is quite easy, as you undoubtedly heard "Where the head goes; the body follows", you need to control the spear of their movement, the head. When you control their "General" (head, brain) their troops are unable to present and organized offense (He can't see/move he can't fight back).

With a WT person, this is a different story as we do not give them an opprotunity to push us around. We keep our heads back and our punches do the talking. To control a WT person, we need only control the center to win.

Manipulate thier momentum: This is something we are all familar with in the WC forum. When an opponent gives too much force, what do we do folks? In short, we let it happen. We FEEL that the momentum is above our capacity to control, so we employ technique over brute strength. With a grappler this means that we control their most foward point. (Why?) Because it is easier to control the head of the dragon rather than the wings. (How?) We ensure that the head of the opponent is facing out fo the center and we occupy the centerline, even if that means YOU (the VT practitioner) has to move... Remember what Si-gung used to say: If the body is in bad position; the hands compensate. If the hands are in bad position; the body compensates. This ensures us an advantageous position. Does this mean we will ALWAYS win? NO. It does not. But it sets us up for sucess.

These principals can be employed against any martial artist; Including the WT people. The only limit these theories and principals have is the limits YOU yourself pose on it. If you open your mind to new possabilities and differing situations, you will never be without an answer. You just have to open your mind.

Anyways, I hope I answered this in the best way possible. If you feel like you have any other questions (and this is to everyone) please feel free to email me on here, or just post in this thread.

Geezer, you always seem to have the best advice for me, and honestly it would just make me so happy to help you in any way as you help me with my big mouth issue :)

All the best my good sir!

Jeff