Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
giphy.gif
no there the ones he lost to, the bums were the ones he beat

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I have another post asking about bjj at different schools. One of the schools has JKD as part of the curriculum. It’s directly from Dan Inosanto so I guess it’d fall under Concepts? Ron Balicki will be visiting in November at this school. My question is, is JKD (in this particular branch I guess you’d say) effective for self defense? What are it’s pros and cons?
If its directly from Dan Insanto then I would say yes its effective. Dan Insanto is just one step away from Bruce Lee when it comes to JKD. Dan trained alongside Bruce Lee and they were good friends, so I would definitely say the style is most effective if its under Dan Insanto.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree he was extremely fit, and was an advecote of your skill improves as your fitness does, and your fitness improves as your skill does, but his approach did not put physical attributes over abilities, in fact some of his biggest pointers where the water principle, keep moving, be relaxed and natural, try to hide your intensions within your movements.

No, as a matter of fact it did. If you read his notes (Tao of JKD) when he lists the "facts of JKD" weight training is listed as one of them. When he talked about the "preliminaires" in that book he said, "Training is one of the most neglected phases of athletics. Too much time is given to the development of skill and too little to the development of the individual for participation". In fact, it was lack of physical fitness (his fight with Wong Jack Man taking way too long) that sparked him into creating JKD and better strength and conditioning methods along with developing his own approach to martial arts.

Latest Discussions