Jiu-Jitsu Over 40 (5 Rules to Roll Till 95)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I had posted a link to this in one of the BJJ threads, but I think the ideas are applicable to a lot of arts - particularly the ones where testing yourself against other practitioners in sparring is a central part of practice.

Very applicable!!! When this popped into my mailbox today I immediately put it up on my blog. Really sound advice!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great insight, and I agree that it applies to other MAs just as well.

They did forget one rule.
Rule #6. To train to 95 you have to live to 95!

:asian:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pacing yourself as you get older and setting internal "smart" limits is important.

Take me for instance I am just not going to do certain things. I am not going
to allow people to throw me in training. Why because my body at this stage doesn't like
being thrown to the mats over and over again. So that rules out Judo practice for
me. This is "smart" on my part and I can still throw people in training I just do
not need to take the wear and tear on my body at this point from being thrown
repeatedly.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pacing yourself as you get older and setting internal "smart" limits is important.

to allow people to throw me in training. Why because my body at this stage doesn't like
being thrown to the mats over and over again. So that rules out Judo practice for
me. This is "smart" on my part and I can still throw people in training I just do
repeatedly.

I'll still let myself be thrown, but I try to mostly limit it to people whose control I trust when they're throwing.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't there a way to just post the 5 rules in writing? The video is a bit long.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really appreciated this video! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it. I have to be careful with the throws myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony Dismukes said:

I had posted a link to this in one of the BJJ threads, but I think the ideas are applicable to a lot of arts - particularly the ones where testing yourself against other practitioners in sparring is a central part of practice.
Some excellent advise that I have lived through and am still dealing with.

PhotonGuy said:
Isn't there a way to just post the 5 rules in writing? The video is a bit long.
Yes there is so when you have watched the video why don't you post them?
As with most worth while things in life you will need to spend some time and effort to gain them. As well as to understand and appreciate their value. The amount of detail for understanding the 'rules' is a part of what makes the video long. Spend some time to glean the value in the message.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're not over 40, so they don't apply to you and your teenaged impatience......move along....:lfao:......
Im not yet over 40 but I am pushing 40 so Im not close behind. And you shouldn't stereotype about teenagers being impatient.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im not yet over 40 but I am pushing 40 so Im not close behind. And you shouldn't stereotype about teenagers being impatient.

Even if they are? Anyway, so are a lot of us older guys. I'd give you a couple of examples but I don't want to take the time....

BTW I did like the clip. It has broad relevance.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even if they are? Anyway, so are a lot of us older guys. I'd give you a couple of examples but I don't want to take the time....

BTW I did like the clip. It has broad relevance.

Some teenagers are impatient and some aren't just like, as you put it, some older guys are impatient too, and some aren't.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
geezer said:

Photon said:
Some teenagers are impatient and some aren't just like, as you put it, some older guys are impatient too, and some aren't.

:s475: :rofl:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

repeatedly.

My shoulder still gives me fits from being slammed down on it 20+ years ago by an over enthusiastic student. I was being a compliant partner allowing him to try a technique...would love to undo that few seconds of my life.

This is good stuff, I'm glad you shared it.
I'm 52 and beginning to see my students get better because they train like crazy and are ate up with it. I still train every day, but let's face it, I'm not 25 anymore, and no matter how much I try to be my body is going to remind me from time to time that it's got a few miles on it.
This was much needed advice for me, things I knew but needed to hear.

Last edited:

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just turned 45 and intend to train the next however many years. My ukemi game has really had to step up since I believe I need to be able to receive any technique I teach. I do realize I'm no Spring Chicken though, and realize that there is no issue slowing my roll. I plan on being on the mat until it's my time, but I've definitely changed the way I do things, to make that happen.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed the video.

They keep things in a realistic perspective, that while experience and knowledge are still the main focus, they point out that size, strength, athleticism, or other physical attributes, do matter, and are a significant aspect of one's overall ability.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also as you progress your skill advancement decreases. So in the first year you may get twice as good. But you will not continue to progress at that as you gain more experience.

I means that newer guys can start running up to your skill level pretty quickly.

Latest Discussions