Jinekan: Manaka Sensei Article!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian this part I found interesting

Mr. Hatsumi invited the young Manaka to join his classes once he heard that the boy was also a Noda City resident. “Hatsumi Sensei recommended that I try it,” Mr. Manaka recollects, “and I was convinced that it would make me stronger than judo would.”

He took him up on the offer and showed up at Hatsumi’s home, which also served as his seikotsu office. What Hatsumi had not realized when he made his invitation, however, was that the young man was only fourteen. As soon as he found out he advised the boy to wait a year. Not to be deterred, the young Manaka said, “I came all this way to see you, so why don’t you show me just a little bit today anyway?” And that’s how he got started. The teen was so sure that this was what he was looking for that he quit judo shortly thereafter.

For a 14 year old to be so accomplished that he would ask Hatsumi sensei to show him a few techniques is just wierd, in those times they just did what the instructor told them but not him, so I say good job for sticking his neck out there like that, it could have turned out the other way and he would not have recieved any training for asking.

Latest Discussions