Jin Pal Hapkido

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,
Looks like I may be relocating to Houston, TX. In looking for a hapkido school in that area, a web search yields a couple schools. There's one taught by Ms. Kat Kelly who belongs to GM West's organization, but another is the Jin Pal Hapkido Federation school. Seems like he's got quite a few dojangs in the US and Canada, but I'm unfamiliar with his teaching. Does anyone have any experience with GM Jin Pal?
Thanks.

-Mike

(I know he's featured in the Jan/Feb edition of TKD Times, but I haven't been able to get a copy yet...)

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am involved with Jin Pal Hapkido. I am at the Washington DC dojang. The Texas Dojang is under Master Gia Cau Pham. Master Pham is a student of GM Kim. But I believe that Master Pham has recently retired from teaching. So I'm not sure who is running the Dojang now. I will check into it. I have only met Master Pham a few times when he has traveled to DC. Very nice man and a lot of military experience and many years in Hapkido and other arts. You can check out the Federation at Http://www.jinpalhapkido.com.

Brian Beach

PS both would be a good choice

T

traz

I am currently doing Jin Pal Hapkido in BC Canada, under Master Michael Lok. From my experience, it's a great style, and teaches traditional Hapkido, as opposed to watered down stuff that is so common today.

My training with Jin Pal has definitely been positive thus far...any specifics you may have I"d be happy to answer.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Traz - Good to see another JPH person here - thought I was the only 1. Tell Master Lok I say hello.

Brian Beach

T

traz

heh yea, I thought I was the only one too! :)

Unforunately, I'll have to leave this style of Hapkido, and actually Hapkido in general, this fall, as I"ll be moving to a new university. grrr...I really don't want to stop training in Hapkido! :(

OP
Yeti

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it looks like I can't lose!...Thanks for your feedback.

Traz - good luck with the move to the new University and with finding a new place to train. I'm sure it will work out.

-Mike

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No problem - like with anything you should try them both and see what fits you better. Both are supported by good GMs. Good luck.

Traz - you can always train in JPH on breaks and over the summer. We had one student do exactly that. He trained in JJ while at school and JPH when home. After school he continued with JPH. He just passed his BB test. He is a little more well rounded then others he tested with because of his additional JJ training. As GM Kim says we are all family so you are always welcome at home.

Brian

T

traz

thats kind of what I'm planning to do. At University, I'm going to join the JJ club, and keep doing that until after university, when I hope to come back to hapkido. Also, I may take up a striking art at the same time of JJ, but that depends on what my schedule is like, I don't know how busy I"ll be.

S

Silver Dragon 65

%-} Hi from Canada.
Jin Pal Hapkido Rocks!
I study under Master Thomas Lok in Regina, Saskatchewan.
Jin Pal Hapkido Canadian Headquarters.
I can't comment on anyone elses style of Hapkido, but training with Master Lok is truly a great honor.
You should try both places and figure out which Instructor best fits you.
:ultracool Take care eh! ( He said "EH!) HAhahahahahahaha.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Must be Ray - I'd recognize that evil laugh anywhere.

S

Silver Dragon 65

piratesmile.gif
Why yes it is I!

Hey Brian!
Now there are 3 JPH here.

coolyellow.gif
It is a balmy +7 c. here today! Yah!! 3 more degrees and we can start tanning!! Hahahahahahahaha!!
coolorange.gif

Ciao!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note:

Silver Dragon 65, please take your font off of bold. Netiquette on forums such as this says it's considered to be strong emphasis; please reserve it for such.

Thank you in advance,

-Shesulsa
-MT Moderator

ruffryder

White Belt
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life from the dead. But I have a major concern.. I've been practicing martial arts in Vancouver for about 3 years now, in a school called Lok's Hapkido. The school is located in Richmond, BC Canada. When I joined, the school was part of the Jin Pal Hapkido federation. Recently in 2006, I found out that the school was "kicked out" by the Jin Pal Federation. Now, normally that would be ok with me, because I still enjoy practicing Hapkido there. However, the secrecy in which this was carried out was very disturbing to me. The only way I found out about this was by stumbling across this article: http://www.hapkidoforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3730&sid=4f91b661d1fc285c1216f6344babcb34

Since there are other members of the Jin Pal Federation reading this, I was wondering what your thoughts on this are? To give you an idea of the situation.. Master Michael Lok has not told anyone explicitly that we're not part of the Jin Pal Federation anymore. In fact, we all go to class still learning the Jin Pal techniques, and wearing the Jin Pal badge. When I told another classmate about the news, he nearly flipped out of surprise. It's just not ethical to be hiding stuff from your students and it's kind of disturbing that other people are joining the school thinking that they are studying under a Jin Pal certified instructor.

Why hasn't the Jin Pal Federation done anything to mend the situation either? I noticed the Vancouver dojo just magically disappear off the www.jinpalhapkido.com site's list of dojos all of a sudden. Don't the students of Vancouver deserve at least an explanation of what went on and what is going to happen in the future? We're all kind of stranded here, with a dishonest de-authorized instructor, while at the same time we want to continue training in Jin Pal Hapkido.

Hopefully someone else from Jin Pal will reply to this and post their honest opinion because I really feel left in the dark about everything.

Thanks

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend contacting Master Thomas Lok in Regina. Michael Lok should not be using the Jin Pal name or Logo.

The decision to remove him from the federation was made by Grandmaster Kim,Master Thomas Lok and the other members of the executive board. The announcement was made on the Jin Pal Hapkido Federation website. The website was redesigned and the notice was taken down.

a copy of the original notice

Deauthorization of Lok's Hapkido Studio

The Jin Pal Hapkido Federation headed by our Chairman Grand Master Kim Jin Pal regrets to inform members that the studio namely Lok’s Hapkido in Richmond BC is no longer recognized as an authorized Jin Pal Hapkido Martial Arts studio effective December 16, 2005.

The federation has also rescinded Michael Lok’s belt rank of 6th Degree and his authority to teach Hapkido in association with the Federation. This means Michael Lok has no authority to teach the Jin Pal Hapkido curriculum. Furthermore, he and his studio is unauthorized to make reference to Grand Master Kim Jin Pal and the Jin Pal Hapkido Federation for his own benefit.

The Jin Pal Hapkido Martial Arts Federation will honor all color and black belt members who received their certificate prior to Dec 1, 2005 from Lok’s Hapkido.

In order to ensure we have your belt rank record on file, please email your personal contact information and a copy of your color belt certificate in jpeg format to Master Thomas Lok at [email protected] for verification. The email must contain your full name, testing date, current rank, mailing address, phone number and email address. Thereafter, we will confirm your belt rank by sending a reply back to you via email.

Regards,

Executives of Jin Pal Hapkido Martial Arts Federation

hapkidorules

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure all you Jin Pal people already know this, but Master Thomas Lok has come to Vancouver to teach! I have a totally renewed interest in practicing. Master Thomas Lok is a great teacher. I feel very privileged to have the chance to train under him.

Schwarzwind

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to impose, but I was a old student of Micheal Lok, He taught me when I was younger. Just recently I thought of starting up training again then I come on here and hear that this has happened..

And was just wondering what was the cause of this dismissal?

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hope you resume your training.

As for Michael Lok - again - I would suggest contacting Master Thomas Lok. He is now in Vancouver teaching. He is the instructor or Michael Lok and the president of Jin Pal Hapkido Canada.

I will try to find the new address - my computer died recently and I lost a lot of information. Maybe a Canadian Student might have the address - Hint Hint -they could post.

hapkidorules

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The brand new hapkido studio where Master Thomas Lok is teaching is in Richmond. The address is:

Unit 1060, McKim Way, Richmond, BC

Here's the website. The class schedule is included.
http://www.kimjinpalhapkido.com

The new studio is awesome, and the teaching is great.. come and check it out for yourself!

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Thomas Lok is a great teacher and practitioner of Hapkido. It is definitely worth a look for anyone interested in Hapkido. I haven't seen the studio but I'd highly recommend trying out a class there because of the instructor.

I'm sure all the old Jin Pal Hapkido students in Vancouver will be happy to have a home again. They are very lucky to have Master Thomas Lok relocate there.

Hapki !!!

Latest Discussions