Jim Florentine Pisses Me off!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of That Metal Show But Jim Florentine (side kick at best) has stated that Karate lessons for children is a bad idea. Curse him! Curse him, I say. He said it over six months ago but I am still mad.
Sean

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And why did he say that karate lessons were a bad idea for kids? Did he have a reason, or just spout an opinion?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And why did he say that karate lessons were a bad idea for kids? Did he have a reason, or just spout an opinion?
He was contrasting with it with some other point, but was very dismissive of the whole thing. My problem is every time I click over the show, I see him, remember him saying it, and I glare at the TV.
Sean

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of That Metal Show But Jim Florentine (side kick at best) has stated that Karate lessons for children is a bad idea. Curse him! Curse him, I say. He said it over six months ago but I am still mad.
Sean

Depending on the training methodology this is where many many belt factories begin, catering to the spoiled brats of yuppies and the training quality suffers to amke some soccer mom happy. Feh....

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on the training methodology this is where many many belt factories begin, catering to the spoiled brats of yuppies and the training quality suffers to amke some soccer mom happy. Feh....
Who cares who's kids they are? They are going to get discipline, self respect, perseverance, indomitable spirit, and lots more! If you think they are going to get it from an X-Box you are mistaken. As far as belt factories go, it pays to shop around.
Sean

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

When I see a lot of the garbage that passes for MA being taught, to kids and adults alike, I would tend to agree that learning nothing may be better than giving someone a false sense of security.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I see a lot of the garbage that passes for MA being taught, to kids and adults alike, I would tend to agree that learning nothing may be better than giving someone a false sense of security.
Aren't you at least a little impressed by the idea of teaching respect and what not; plus, you know what they say about idle hands?
Sean

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose I'm becoming increasingly curmudgeonly in my old age.
I love kids and I love the MA. When I see one being misused to the detriment of another, I guess I get a little pissy.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose I'm becoming increasingly curmudgeonly in my old age.
I love kids and I love the MA. When I see one being misused to the detriment of another, I guess I get a little pissy.
Yeah, you and Jim Florentine.:)
Sean

ganglian

Orange Belt
Reaction score

exactly what I meant.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who cares who's kids they are? They are going to get discipline, self respect, perseverance, indomitable spirit, and lots more! If you think they are going to get it from an X-Box you are mistaken. As far as belt factories go, it pays to shop around.
Sean

Well, I think that training is valuable even at a young age for the same reasons TOD explains... errr... exclaims.

I also agree with the other post that suggests shopping around. Unfortunately, many of these "soccer moms" don't know what the heck they are shopping for, so how can they know if they are getting quality instruction for their little ones?

I do applaud the parents for at least trying to get their kiddos involved in something other than the television and video games.

Those are my two cents. Thanks,

James

Latest Discussions