itf tae kwon do form yul gok

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i was sifting through my videos the other day and decided to put up a page on youtube to share my stuff with everyone on this forum. i got the idea from a post by dan anderson on the fma thread. anyways, here is a form i learned in itf tae kwon do under master jong moon lee of rockford il and performed it at a friends house in 1981 when i was about 20 years old. i believe it is yul gok. i was a red belt black stripe at the time of this old video. i was living at the dojang and training six days a week, four classes per day, one hour per class. i got paid 100 bucks a week to live and work there. it was an interesting experience for me.

my friend asked me to perform the hyung so he could learn it faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
khand50

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ha ha, probably. i loved the billy jack movies. still have them. all four of them. plus his other movie, master gunfighter. and laughlin has a website, www.billyjack.com. its.....interesting.
i used to know all the forms from chon ji up to chung mu. that was nine forms we had to know for black belt. chon ji, dan gun, do san, won hyo, yul gok, chun gun, toy gye, hwa rang, and chung mu. there might be some misspellings here but i havent done tae kwon do since 1982. im surprised i still remember the forms names...i used to know the first five pal gue forms for wtf as well. learned those in 1976.
the pants i wore that day were really tight on me so my kicks looked like crap. plus, i was training alot and my legs were really sore! i have a sparring clip filmed that day with my friend ken, whose camera we were using. i felt sluggish, although by the end of the clip i managed to sneak in a nice dolyo chagi to his face. i believe that was the term for turning kick or roundhouse as most people called it. i call it a hook kick as it travels the same line as the hook punch. my other videos are on my new youtube page if you want to look up some other funny stuff....just type in sticksnfists and you will find about 11 videos there of mine. i also have a fight sequence over horseshoes filmed the same day with my friend mark, who passed away this past may. its one of my favorite funny scenes.....

OP
khand50

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i just posted a video clip from 33 years ago! it is from a tae kwon do class i attended in 1976...

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ha ha, probably. i loved the billy jack movies. still have them. all four of them. plus his other movie, master gunfighter. and laughlin has a website, www.billyjack.com. its.....interesting.
i used to know all the forms from chon ji up to chung mu. that was nine forms we had to know for black belt. chon ji, dan gun, do san, won hyo, yul gok, chun gun, toy gye, hwa rang, and chung mu. there might be some misspellings here but i havent done tae kwon do since 1982. im surprised i still remember the forms names...i used to know the first five pal gue forms for wtf as well. learned those in 1976.
the pants i wore that day were really tight on me so my kicks looked like crap. plus, i was training alot and my legs were really sore! i have a sparring clip filmed that day with my friend ken, whose camera we were using. i felt sluggish, although by the end of the clip i managed to sneak in a nice dolyo chagi to his face. i believe that was the term for turning kick or roundhouse as most people called it. i call it a hook kick as it travels the same line as the hook punch. my other videos are on my new youtube page if you want to look up some other funny stuff....just type in sticksnfists and you will find about 11 videos there of mine. i also have a fight sequence over horseshoes filmed the same day with my friend mark, who passed away this past may. its one of my favorite funny scenes.....

I am not familiar with those forms, I learned the Japanese/Okinawan forms originally taught in the Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan. Ki Cho's, Pyung Ahn's, Bassai, Naihanchi's, Jin Do, Kong Sang Koon.. .

Regardless, nice video! Yes, Dolyo Chagi is the roundhouse kick as I know it.

This is what I absolutely love about MT! A place that we can all share what we've learned over the years.. . I am a relative newbie compared to the years you have been training, I started in 1985.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was sifting through my videos the other day and decided to put up a page on youtube to share my stuff with everyone on this forum. i got the idea from a post by dan anderson on the fma thread. anyways, here is a form i learned in itf tae kwon do under master jong moon lee of rockford il and performed it at a friends house in 1981 when i was about 20 years old. i believe it is yul gok. i was a red belt black stripe at the time of this old video. i was living at the dojang and training six days a week, four classes per day, one hour per class. i got paid 100 bucks a week to live and work there. it was an interesting experience for me.

my friend asked me to perform the hyung so he could learn it faster.

Nice video.

The pattern you perform, however, is not Yul-Gok. It is Won-Hyo, the pattern learned at 6th gup (Yul-Gok is learned at 5th gup).

Pax,

Chris

OP
khand50

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks! i couldnt remember if it was won hyo or yul gok. like i said, its been many years since i performed it. yes, it is nice to be able to share things with each other.
i realize that 40 years seems like a long time to train in martial arts but it seems like just yesterday to me. one of the drawbacks to having moved around alot over the years is that i havent been able to train with one person or school for a long time. but, i didnt let that stop me from learning martial arts. one nice thing for me, is that i have been exposed to numerous disciplines and have found that all martial arts have many similiarities. more than people imagine. there is a foundation of techniques, for one thing. every striking art utilizes the same basic kicks, punches, blocks and often stances. nearly every throwing art utilized similiar balance disruption techniques...sweeps, throws and takedowns. once you understand the basic principles it is only a matter of learning each systems unique approach to delivery. and of course, the forms are the most different.
like i stated before i studied wtf tkd for eleven weeks and learned five forms. the college i trained at switched instructors and i had to learn five new forms to get promoted to the next level. i had been training in martial arts for about seven or eight years by that time so i learned the forms fairly easily. and got my promotion.
i went through a phase when i put down tkd after my sour experiences with one school. later i thought, why? cant blame the art...only the people in it. or in that school. ive always loved tkd for the kicking ability i developed from practicing in a school that emphasized it. the only drawbacks to the style that i felt was the limitation of trapping and close range skills, and training with various weapons. but i loved tkd for what it gave me.
thanks for the help with the name of the form and for the positive feedback.

OP
khand50

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
naihanchi is also taught in isshin ryu karate. i trained in the art for a short time last year....

Latest Discussions