Israeli Soldiers attacked by "relief" ship

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone has pretty much heard of the assault on the IDF troops, regarding the flotilla of "relief" ships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_flotilla_raid

In this particular case, the IDF has video of the incident, where the alleged "relief" workers attacked the lawful boarders, using clubs, knives, firearms, and even a grenade.

To me, this looks like a trolling attempt by the "relief" workers.

If they really were looking to simply get humanitarian aid to the Gaza residents, then why didn't they simply drop off the cargo with the Israelis? Everyone already knows that if you drop off the aid, they'll do the usual inspection, and then send it to the aid distribution centers in that area.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they really were looking to simply get humanitarian aid to the Gaza residents, then why didn't they simply drop off the cargo with the Israelis?

Because they were trying to make a point and perhaps draw a reaction. That doesn't excuse or justify anything, on either side.

Usually though, ships need no justification to repel boarders in international waters.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone repelled on to your ship in international waters, you would start swinging too.
Sean

Because they were just floating around, minding their own business, and were swarmed by soldiers for no reason at all. They had not declared their intent to violate a naval blockade and deliver supplies ashore. They had not rejected a request to put into port, have their cargo inspected, and then have Israel transport it for them to the intended destinations. Nothing like that. They were fishing. Yeah, that's it, fishing.

Let's say it was a boat full of Israelis bringing 'aid' to Jews who live in Turkey under repressive conditions. The Turks tell them not to and board the ship before it arrives. The Israelis start beating them with chairs and shooting at them, maybe tossing a couple grenades. You seriously think the world would be condemning the Turks if they reacted as the Israelis did?

It was a set-piece battle, intended to provoke a reaction, which it did.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If that doesn't show you who the real bad guys were and are in this, you have issues...

Did you know that under the embargo, fresh meat, coriander, newspapers and dried fruit are not allowed into Gaza? I haven't yet seen a rocket made from coriander and fresh meat. The embargo is clearly about more than stopping the attacks, so I wouldn't claim that the lines can be drawn so neatly.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you know that under the embargo, fresh meat, coriander, newspapers and dried fruit are not allowed into Gaza? I haven't yet seen a rocket made from coriander and fresh meat. The embargo is clearly about more than stopping the attacks, so I wouldn't claim that the lines can be drawn so neatly.

Is that also the case with the embargo that Egypt is imposing on Gaza? That's a bizarre list of items.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that also the case with the embargo that Egypt is imposing on Gaza? That's a bizarre list of items.

Egypt is more lax than Israel in maintaining the embargo, so I kind of doubt it. Sources I have seen claim that Israel doesn't want the Gazans to starve (so many basic foodstuffs are allowed) but they do want them miserable and unhappy enough to turn on Hamas. They don't want them providing for themselves either, which is why livestock, fishing equipment, and similar are also not allowed in.

I should make it clear, I'm not really defending one side here. The problem that Israel faces is basically intractable, at least in the short term. I have sympathy for the history, and for the attacks they have to figure out a way to stop. I also have sympathy for the people holed up in the strip with no where to go, dependent on food aid, and with a lot of anger at the people keeping them bottled up. Neither side can be completely justified nor completely demonized. Treating the Israelis like saints just confuses the issue and makes solving it that much harder. The lines are not neatly drawn.

Israel does need to step up their creative thinking though. They are losing the long term PR battle, and they cannot survive as an isolated pariah.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Egypt is more lax than Israel in maintaining the embargo, so I kind of doubt it.

Egypt just opened the Rafah crossing. Until a few days ago, the ony way to get goods from Egypt into Gaza was to smuggle through the tunnels.

And BTW, Egypt is now building a wall that not only goes up, but down into the ground to stop the tunnelling.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Egypt just opened the Rafah crossing. Until a few days ago, the ony way to get goods from Egypt into Gaza was to smuggle through the tunnels.

And BTW, Egypt is now building a wall that not only goes up, but down into the ground to stop the tunnelling.

Sheesh, sounds serious. I had read that they were more lax, and more willing to ease restrictions now and again. That may not be the case.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sheesh, sounds serious. I had read that they were more lax, and more willing to ease restrictions now and again. That may not be the case.
It couldn't be that no civilized nation wants terrorist scum around?
You take a quote from one of the organizers, which explicitly states the flotilla had NOTHING to do with humanitarian aid, and still argue it is all Israel's fault. Lenin (supposedly) had a term for that...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
You take a quote from one of the organizers, which explicitly states the flotilla had NOTHING to do with humanitarian aid, and still argue it is all Israel's fault.

That is precisely what I have not done and if you had any interest in a fair or honest reading, you would know that.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Israel will defend itself. If their enemy makes a move, there will be a clash.

Until the Islamist(Arab states) stop trying to conquer Israel, there will be no peace.

Stop acting as thou this attempt to break blockade was anything else.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is some video of the attack.

RT is reporting that the Israeli soldiers boarded and started shooting. 20 people were killed on the ships and six IDF solders were injured.

Last edited by a moderator:

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score

RT is reporting that the Israeli soldiers boarded and started shooting. 20 people were killed on the ships and six IDF solders were injured.

Who or what is RT?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who or what is RT?

Russia Today. Yeah I know, for many old school red blooded Americans, this may seem ironic, but I'll tell you something, I've followed RT for some time now and they usually are more accurate, have more thought provoking stories, and are less beholden to the special interests then just about any media sources out there.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Russia Today. Yeah I know, for many old school red blooded Americans, this may seem ironic, but I'll tell you something, I've followed RT for some time now and they usually are more accurate, have more thought provoking stories, and are less beholden to the special interests then just about any media sources out there.

Thanks Man.....:)

Russia Today / Putin tommorow
LOL

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Account from one of the Israeli: http://www.jpost.com/Israel/Article.aspx?id=177445

Essentially, the 'activists' were shot when they advanced on IDF protecting their wounded.

And it's 9 killed, not 20.

Latest Discussions