Israeli Martial Arts (not Krav Maga)

alexk

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, here are some quotes from the ISAI site:

No animal in the wild will try to imitate any another animal. It is impossible to find the cat that will try to imitate in fight a snake or an elephant, and no snake will try to fight in the style of bird or horse. Only the man tries to reconstruct his lost natural qualities by imitating other beings during fighting – externally and spiritually.
Wouldn’t it be much better if humans were behaving like humans and not like snakes or horses?

Every movement in ISAI performed as a continuation of the previous movement and as a pass to the next movement, doesn’t matter if these movements are kicks, punches, steps etc.. Because all the movements in ISAI are variations of the same principle movement, any movement can be harmoniously combined with any other movement.

Moshe Gorelik born in 1952 in Moscow, USSR.

The background Martial Arts for ISAI in the meaning of applications are mainly different styles of Taiji Quan, Pangei Noon and Russian Martial Arts. But only in the meaning of the martial applications.

Paul, are you sure there is absolutely no connection? :)

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what the video shows they seem to be using the approach of practicing a movement then applying it to a pre-arranged attack. The movements appear very chinese. If it does borrow from the system it is a very small part of it. As with all things it is very difficult to tell from a video clip and a web site.

Also you have to understand that Russian Martial Arts are varied. Whilst in Moscow he could have trained with anyone of them, but from what I have seen it is not Systema. I might be wrong as it is always difficult verifying martial history. I have know many founders of composite styles to make claims about what they trained in, only to find out they only have a few lessons of experience.

If you want the opinion of other systema practicioners post the clips on the RMA forum.

Paul Genge

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you want the opinion of other systema practicioners post the clips on the RMA forum.
Perhaps the opinion of other RMA practitioners isn't wanted... as it wasn't posted in the RMA section... but I'm going to give mine anyway...

This has nothing to do with Systema, ROSS, Kadochnikov or any other Russian style in those traditions. Nothing at all. FWIW, prior to becoming an RMa practitioner I was a practioner of Krav maga... you know in the old days before it was copyrighted and sold as a commercial license and Chinese internal arts as well. These clips have nothing to do with Krav Maga as well... and as to any connection with Chinese martial arts... well yes... you could convince me that they read a few books and made an attempt to copy movemnents from a video tape or two.

Simply moving slow and making your arms look a certain way doesn't mean something is internal. to be internal the movement has to come from the center and have a very special relationship with the ground. That isn't happening here.

Arthur

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was the one that label this art as a type of Systema. I used the Systema term more genericly then it is being used now. I realize that this was a mistake.

I found this style to look very......less then optimal. Not sure because I have not seen it in person. I was just curious to see an "internal" Israeli Martial Art.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions