Is wushu good for the body?

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've recently developed quite an interest in wushu. Forget all the back and forward arguing about whether it works in a fight or not ... I'd simply love to be able to move like those guys!

However, is it suitable for someone in their mid 30s to start up? Does it have any known health risks, for example stress on ageing knees and hips?

I'd also love to start Parkour/Free Running, but I've been warned against that because of my age.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually Wushu is Chinese Martial Arts and Kung Fu means hard work but I believe you are asking about Modern Wushu the gymnastic performance side of CMA.

As to starting it, that depends on you and the sifu. As to its health risks it all depends on the level of training and the sifu.

It can be very good for you great cardio and great for strengthening but if it is following the way contemporary/Modern Wushu is today in China it will hurt you and your knees will take a beating.

I did the Modern Wushu version of Shaolin Long Fist in my 30s but it was not the extreme stuff you see today it was an earlier version that my sifu learned in the 60s in China. But there were still moves in it, that if you were not careful, you would get hurt. Shaolin Long Fist Staff form broke my ankle and I decided after that this was not for me; especially after I was back training a sword (Jain) and it had a one handed cart wheel followed by a no handed cartwheel.. So I decided cart wheels with a sword in my hand were not for me so I stop training it

OP
K

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I meant Modern/Contemporary Wushu.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if you are not required yourself achieving some certain level, i think it's ok.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course it is good for the body. Much more so than being a couch potato :) I would simply recommend talking to your primary doctor about it. If you are in normal physical health ( average) then with time and training Wushu should be no problem. Just remember that it is not going to be over night like with everything else :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trend in Modern wushu competition seems to be going in the direction of more and more extreme. This is causing a much larger incidence of injury. The acrobatics are really pushing the limits of the body, in some cases. People who try to compete on this level seem to have more and more chronic injuries with knees, ankles, shoulders, backs, fallen arches, etc.

If you aren't interested in being a top level competitor, then it can be a good, tough exercise, and you will learn some cool gymnastics type stuff that can be fun. But if you want to be top level, then I think you can expect injuries.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
The basic training is solid so go for it if you can find a program near you. Starting as a complete beginner at your age I don't think you're in any (Ahem!) danger of being a world champion or anything so you won't likely experience the problems that they do.

Just remember that the top levels of any sport often require going far, far beyond what most people would consider good or healthy in order to compete at those levels. Distorting or hurtin the body to win medals is just par for the course. That's when it gets dangerous. But you're in no danger of that, so don't worry about it.

Latest Discussions