Is this not right?

Munkyjitsudo

White Belt
Reaction score
I started taking tae kwon do at chabot college in hayward,ca (giving the name just so if anyone knows anything about the school), I think it's WTF they didnt really know waht to tell me when I asked if they where WTF or ITF, they said they do some WTF forms. But what confused me is that there were black belts who got there black belts in a two year school period, alot of them got to there blue belts in two semesters, I went to spar with one of there black belts who looked really big and strong and I completely dominated him his kicks were so slow I was able to slap every single one of them away with my barehands and this was my first day, I was expecting him to start spinning like a tornado and then kick me in the face when I least expected it with a 540 kick, you know, like the guys you see in the tournaments. I was just wondering is this normal for TKD schools to give weak students higher ranked belts? or is this odd? It's with RUDOLFO S. DE GUZMAN and LAWRENCE F. AGUIAR has anyone heard of these teachers before? I'm not in the class anymore due to the fact I got a job so I can finally take capoeira lessons again, just would like to give a heads up to my friends who take the class.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every school has there own set of standards. Don't worry about belts, just have fun. If your not having fun, don't train there.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yo Crazy Ninja, uh, I mean Andrew, thanks for saying something. I'm sitting here biting my thumb hoping that some one will. OK, all the TKD masters on this board, how will you handle this one?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off I do not know any school on your first day of training to have you start sparring. That is first off, secondly I also have never heard of a school that could not explain what style of TKD they do especially at a college. Thirdly if it was TKD then I really doubt if you was slapping there kicks away with a bare hand like they where flies on ****.

This is just my opinion maybe forty years of opinion but still my opinion.

Oh in as far as given weak student high ranking belt, you know not every single Martial Artist is the best fighter, but then again I just find what you are saying to be silly.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well i dont quite understand what your asking but heres what i got out of it. You went sparring your first day and the black belt was taking it way easy on you. To me saprring on your first day is wrong, but ok saying that you did, i dont think anyone would go and beat the crap out of you. When my school has the new students spar it is understood that we are to be "nice" to them. as for not knowing the style i have no idea

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All schools are different and standards are different. If you have read any of the threads here you will know that across the world you have a lot of serious Martial Artists who are true to the art and then at the other spectrum you have the cookie cutter McDojo's who are out for the money and then a whole lot in between.

Every person here with experience will tell you always check the place out first before you start training, ask questions, make inquiries, and if there are red flags (like they have no clue who they are affiliated with) then that should tell you something.

Hope the experience wasn't to bad and I hope your MA journey is on the right track now.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started taking tae kwon do at chabot college in hayward,ca (giving the name just so if anyone knows anything about the school), I think it's WTF they didnt really know waht to tell me when I asked if they where WTF or ITF, they said they do some WTF forms.

If they didn't know what to tell you, then they may not know. I was in the ITF for several years before I knew there was another federation, and if someone had asked me a question about which of the two I was in, I wouldn't have known what to tell them, except that I was in the ITF, and I'd heard of the WTF but didn't know anything about it.

But what confused me is that there were black belts who got there black belts in a two year school period, alot of them got to there blue belts in two semesters,

Do you mean a college semester? I suppose it's possible, depending on the rank structure they're using, and also whether or not the class continues over the summer and that doesn't count as a separate semester, but without knowing their requirements and rank structure there's really no way to answer that question.

I went to spar with one of there black belts who looked really big and strong and I completely dominated him his kicks were so slow I was able to slap every single one of them away with my barehands and this was my first day,

Without knowing more than what you've said, I would guess he was being polite and not trying to beat the crap out of a white belt (likely; all of my senior students take it very easy on new students so as not to scare them away), and quite likely he was unaware you had any background on which to draw (most new students don't know how to block when they start sparring - having a live person trying to hit you is quite unsettling for many people). Later in your post you state that you are returning to capoeira - think back to when you started that, and ask yourself how you would spar someone on their first night if you were unaware they had any experience or knowledge, which is where most students are.

I was expecting him to start spinning like a tornado and then kick me in the face when I least expected it with a 540 kick, you know, like the guys you see in the tournaments.
Why? See my answer to the previous section - when I teach, students are limited to what the junior knows in sparring, at least at the beginning, because anything else would be unfair - how could a white belt be expected to block a tornado kick? So what.... the black belt should have wiped the floor with you just to prove he could? What would that teach a white belt? That seniors are there to beat you up? That won't attract and keep new students.

I was just wondering is this normal for TKD schools to give weak students higher ranked belts? or is this odd?
Again, there's not enough information in your post to determine if these students were truly weak, or if they were just being nice to you. I suspect the latter, myself.

It's with RUDOLFO S. DE GUZMAN and LAWRENCE F. AGUIAR has anyone heard of these teachers before?
Nope... but that doesn't mean much; I live in a different part of the country.

I'm not in the class anymore due to the fact I got a job so I can finally take capoeira lessons again, just would like to give a heads up to my friends who take the class.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to have gone into this class with some unusual expectations, and greater than average experience, which led you to interpret things differently than a new student would likely have done

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I will give a polite welcome to "Munkyjitsudo" to the Martial Talk Forums. It is usually recommended that new members here go to the Meet and Greet section and make an introductory post to tell others a little about yourself and your Martial Art Background. Adding a little more to your profile helps too, so that others don't have to repeatedly ask you the same questions to get to know you better. I hope you enjoy posting, that you get helpful information from others here, and that you take any constructive criticism with a good attitude - because it is about to come - :)

I usually don't waste my time responding to threads like this, but this time I feel compelled.
I started taking tae kwon do at chabot college in hayward,ca (giving the name just so if anyone knows anything about the school),...
Giving the name just so if anyone knows anything about the school??
According to its website, it is called "Chabot College of the Chabot-Las Positas Community College District." It is a community college that offers classes in many subjects. What more do you want to know about it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chabot_College
http://www.chabotcollege.edu/

I think it's WTF they didnt really know waht to tell me when I asked if they where WTF or ITF, they said they do some WTF forms.
It is neither WTF nor ITF. It is a community college. At community colleges, just about anyone can offer a course on virtually any subject. Many teach self defense, and various forms of the Martial Art. Their credentials and background are often questionable, but the real question is are they certified with a major Taekwondo organization? Do they teach at a permanent school somewhere nearby?

When you say "they didn't really know what to tell me when I asked if they were WTF or ITF," how did they phrase it? Did they say, "we don't know," or "we don't know what the WTF and ITF are," or did they just not give you a satisfactory answer. You quoted them as saying that they teach WTF forms, so this implies they are not affiliated with the ITF. Perhaps they teach the same Taegeuk forms that people associate with the WTF because these are the forms that the WTF have approved for competition, but maybe these instructors are not currently participating in WTF recognized tournaments.

Your question to them might not get a clear answer because the question is based on the old misunderstanding that the WTF and the ITF are both parallel organizations that one can join. The ITF is an International organization founded by Gen. Choi Hong Hi, and students become "members" of the ITF. You can not become a "member" of the WTF. It is a governing body for sports, and only "Member Nations" belong to the WTF. The national governing bodies provide a link to Olympic Taekwondo competition.

The more accurate question is where do their Black Belt and teaching credentials come from (IE: Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, USAT, etc), and if they have a school, are they independent, or are they affiliated with a larger organization.

...But what confused me is that there were black belts who got there black belts in a two year school period, alot of them got to there blue belts in two semesters, I went to spar with one of there black belts who looked really big and strong and I completely dominated him his kicks were so slow I was able to slap every single one of them away with my barehands and this was my first day, I was expecting him to start spinning like a tornado and then kick me in the face when I least expected it with a 540 kick, you know, like the guys you see in the tournaments.
I won't even address this as others already have.

I was just wondering is this normal for TKD schools to give weak students higher ranked belts? or is this odd?
The "normal" for TKD schools varies depending on what criteria is set to differentiate between genuine schools and look-alike frauds; between experienced instructors, and beginners. If you really want to know what its like to spar a Taekwondo instructor who will put you through the paces, come visit my school. You can sign the liability waiver, we can put on the sparring gear (for your protection), and you can try to slap away my kicks with your bare hands! :) Or, perhaps Iceman will extend you an invitation since he is in California.

I'm not in the class anymore due to the fact I got a job so I can finally take capoeira lessons again,
You want to take capoeira lessons again? What confuses me then is, if this is your true desire, why didn't you sign up for the capoeira offered at Chabot College by instructor David Mahabali?

Your profile says your primary art is "Danzan Ryu Jujitsu." Since you stated in another thread here on MT that you like jujitsu so much, why not pursue that?

My whole goal is teach jujitsu some day, thats like my all time goal.
Did you try a class with the Chabot jujitsu instructor, Carol Harris, or the Judo instructor, Steven Siroy? Chabot's class schedule has several instructors.
https://bw4.clpccd.cc.ca.us/clpccd/2006/03/c/sched_phed.htm

Perhaps you would prefer to train with Martial Talk Member Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola,
Grandmaster Kamatuuran School of Kalijin as you stated in another thread.

I was just thinking how awesome it'd be to learn under you. I live in hayward, ca. Been a local to the bay area all my life and just scored a really good paying job so I can start taking the classes I want,...

I hope you find what you are looking for. I hope your stay with us here on MT, and that your future posts are more toward your positive involvement in the Martial Art that interests you most rather than negative comments about Arts that you have little experience in, or naming instructors about whom you have not done sufficient research. I won't give negative reps on your post here, even though your post appears to be more of a bash of Taekwondo than a serious inquiry.

Your post starts off fine, but line by line it degenerates into an attack on these particular instructors, and brings into question the quality of Taekwondo elsewhere. It is fair that you need to ask questions to find answers, but making the accusation that this Black Belt is a "weaker student" because he did not perform like an olympic champion, or fight hard with a beginner, or questioning that TKD schools give high ranks to weak students is a bit inflammatory and not supported by any real evidence.

I don't know what answer you would have expected - - a bunch of people here telling you "yes, Taekwondo schools promote weak students to Black Belt as a norm." If you really want to know what average Taekwondo schools do, start by visiting one. Then visit a few more and get an idea first hand of what the average is in your area. Then come on line and discuss the comparisons of what you witnessed with what others do across the country and around the world.

With Respects,
CM D.J. Eisenhart

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went to spar with one of there black belts who looked really big and strong and I completely dominated him his kicks were so slow I was able to slap every single one of them away with my barehands and this was my first day.

At every school I have ever attended, no white belt has been allowed to spar anyone. If they had experience at sparring in some other style of MA, the person sparring them was advised of their ability and sparred accordingly, so I can only assume the BB believed you to be a white belt and took it slow as I would in that situation. I also would go on to say that even when I spar a yellow belt, I go all out, but pull my kicks and punches. Many times I see in their eyes that they had no idea that my kick or punch would have caused damage if I hadn't stopped. They just continue oblivious to the danger. It is up to the higher belt to ensure the safety of the junior belt.

It's with RUDOLFO S. DE GUZMAN and LAWRENCE F. AGUIAR has anyone heard of these teachers before?

Not good form to name names, for negative feedback.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thirdly if it was TKD then I really doubt if you was slapping there kicks away with a bare hand like they where flies on ****.
I dunno about you, Terry, but I've never been too concerned about keeping my **** fly-free... :p

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are several RED FLAGS in the dojang that you where asking about!If you walked in to our school and threw down a request to spar with me or any other BB's we would spar. We would go a hard as you or we would go harder if we thought that you were trying to sandbag us.I would have whatched the class before I joined in to see how they set up there classes.Was this a BB class? or was this a white belt class? Something is not right, i adgree with the post before me. All the best in the arts

Latest Discussions