Is this a good choice?

blp

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested on learning some self defense and this guy looks good.
He used Aikido techniques to create a self defense system.
Would it be a good idea learning by videos?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A bunch of people will be along shortly to tell you training by video is a waste of time. :)

Depends I suppose on how much experience you have and in what. I am a sandan in aikido... I think it's pretty much impossible to pick up without a lot of on the mat time with people who are experts already themselves in the art. On the other hand, if you're not looking to learn aikido and you just want to pick up a few skills at fairly basic levels of understanding, I don't see any harm if trying it out for yourself if you want. Especially if you know a bit of soft-style martial arts already.

This is my off the cuff opinion without having watched the Youtube video.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Give it a go by all means and see how you get on, but as dancingalone has already stated, if you actually want to develop true skill within Aikido then finding a club to practise on the mat with other people with a decent instructor is really the best way to go. Good luck though.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Leaving aside the general difficulties with learning any martial art just from video, this would probably be one of the last arts I would recommend learning in such a fashion. The techniques are completely dependent on a high degree of precision, skill, and sensitivity. Frankly speaking, they take a lot of time and study to get to the point where you can make them work in real life even with an in-person instructor and a good training group. Without the supervision of a good instructor you're probably never going to get the the point where you can become truly functional with the skills shown, but you have a decent chance of injuring your training partner or yourself.

If you have no prior martial arts experience and you feel the need to learn from videos, I'd suggest boxing or Krav Maga. You won't reach a high level training just from video, but you could probably develop some usable skills. If you have a good training partner and some mats you could try learning BJJ via the Gracie University online,

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I did watch the movie and I liked a lot of what I saw. You asked whether it would be good for self defence and of that I am not so sure. Certainly you need a hands-on partner but it depends on what you mean by 'self-defence'. The demonstration was for LEOs. Most times it doesn't look good if they are beating the crap out of people. Some of the techniques shown actually modified aikido as in perhaps not technically 100% as normally taught but effective nevertheless and FWIW straight out of the KM manual. The training shown was more for restraint. In SD the most important thing is to make time to escape, normally by striking and running, not doing locks, holds and takedowns.

I have used videos to supplement my training for years. What I have found is that a lot of things don't work as well as shown. That could be because they won't ever work against a non compliant partner or that you are not doing it right, in which case you need an experienced person to help you learn.

Make sure the videos are going to take your down the right road to achieve your own objectives. Good luck!
:asian:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aikido is to Martial Arts what Algebra is to math. You can't do Algebra without a foundation in Arithmetic. Get a good base in something foundational first.

Possible? Yes. Totally doable. "Good idea?" No. Learning by video without the aid of an experienced instructor and guide is incredibly inefficient. You'll make lots of mistake and errors, often at a basic level, which will cascade into errors in more advanced techniques, building error upon error. It is possible to self-correct but that requires lots of trial and error (and error and error).

Think of it like primitive humans moving into an area for the first time and trying to figure out what plants are good to eat and which ones are poisonous. Eventually, they'll figure it all out but there's going to be some "accidents" along the way.

Same with martial arts training. As long as you don't mind losing some teeth, breaking a few bones, having your nose caved in, and maybe accidentally dying or killing your friend, then it's entirely possible to make it all up from scratch! But it's far more efficient to have an instructor to tell you what works, what doesn't, and to catch and correct mistakes before they become a hazard for you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hmm. Yeah, he looks good. That's quite a different thing to having a good self defence system, though... my self defence stuff doesn't look very good at all...

Well, good for him... but to do that requires many years of solid study of Aikido to be able to pull off what he's doing in anything past a demo situation. Not really a go-to self defence approach, nor is much in the video really that close to actual violence or self defence, when all is said and done...

Thanks!

No.

But let's get to the crux. You started out by stating that you are interested in learning some self defence... cool. Let's look at that, then. A few questions, if you would.

Whereabouts are you?

How old are you (approximately... we don't need your birthdate or anything)?

Do you have previous experience in any martial systems or training?

Why do you want to learn self defence?

What else would you be looking for from martial arts?

That should get us in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions