Is their anyone that does shotokan karate that is disabled?

R

ryansaunders

I myself am a disabled male and have been training in Shotokan Karate for 4 years now, i was wondering if their was anybody else out thier that was or has trained in the martial arts with a disability.

I liked to know what your experiences were like or are now? How your training was conducted and how you were treaded?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had other discussions of martial arts for those with disabilities which would turn up on a Search, but none regarding Shotokan in particular, I believe.

OP
R

ryansaunders

Thank you for you quick reply, i wasnt aware that this issue had been discussed before.

OP
L

lucifersdad

just to add,

i freind of mine is a fourth dan in shotokan and he is disabled, he also has a first dan in wado ryu karate and a first dan in muchin-do karate.
when he took his wado first dan i was on the grading panel and it was inspiring to watch a guy do knife defences, throws, chokes and arm locks with one hand. now i train under him occasionally and his technique is second to none, he really is a true karateka in every sense of the word!

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a good friend from our school who is almost totally blind. She obviously doesn't spar, but her form and self defense is incredible.

OP
J

jakmak52

I don't know to what degree you are disabled, I have 70 percent less motion in my left shoulder due to a .45 ACP slug back in 1964 and I compete regularly in competitions doing Bassai Dai. I just compensate and make it look like it's part of the kata:)

Latest Discussions