Is the Bible 100% truth?

Is the Bible True and Correct in your opinion?

• Yes, I believe all of the Bible is true and correct, even in symbolism

• No, the Bible contains skewed opinions and is filled with fabrications

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've all heard that saying ... "Either it all applies or none of it applies."

What say you?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

What say you?

I think your poll needs a third option instead of just an either/or. In other words, it asks you to choose between either true, even in its symbolism, or "fabrication". For me it is neither - rather it is between those two extremes. Truth, with some symbolism to be taken figuratively, not literally, yet not a fabrication or total distortion. Good question you pose - just needs one more option. Not sure doesn't work for me because I AM sure - of myposition. :)

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I DO beleive it 100%. It sounds to me like you are about to get a few people a bit stirred up. Which of the answers do you choose?

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I think your poll needs a third option instead of just an either/or. In other words, it asks you to choose between either true, even in its symbolism, or "fabrication". For me it is neither - rather it is between those two extremes. Truth, with some symbolism to be taken figuratively, not literally, yet not a fabrication or total distortion. Good question you pose - just needs one more option. Not sure doesn't work for me because I AM sure - of myposition. :)

Option 3 is "Not Sure" - you could pick that.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I am reading it all wrong but that sounds quite a loaded question and though I currently claim no particular religious affiliations I really would hope and yeah, trust! the intention of this poll was honest rather than to be a platform to encourage further polarisation between those who are in the Christian faith and those who are not.

We are ALL searching for the SAME THING on this small world with WAY too many divisions already :) :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, The Bible is made up of 66 separate books, each written from a personal pov. Therefore, because we all see things from our own angle, it cannot be 100% accurate. I mean, I'm sure it's a 100% accurate to each individual that contributed, but sometimes what we see, hear or believe isn't true anywhere but in our own mind. It was no different back then. Yet, though it's full of personal observations, metaphores and parables, I still believe that its intent is 100% accurate, if for no other reason than I choose to.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
If I remember correctly, The Bible is made up of 66 separate books, each written from a personal pov. Therefore, because we all see things from our own angle, it cannot be 100% accurate.
Also keep in mind that many books were dropped from the Bible. Why, because of contradictory accounts? The fact that early translations of the Bible were done by the ruling class doesn't vouch well for its accuracy either.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Why, because of contradictory accounts?

Well that's a bit simplistic don't you think?
I think you may have mis-framed your question here. Would it have been more accurate to say 'do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of God?' because as Gemini said, you can't really apply the term 'truth' to a collection of historical writings in this way.

For me, the Bible is divinely inspired, a collection of writings, by men. But what is important is the story and the message. Remember Bible means library- it is a collection of books and cannot be taken at face value. You need a key to unlock it's secrets.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wo 50 50 so far i voted 100% true but i was born and raised that way

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
wo 50 50 so far i voted 100% true but i was born and raised that way

I'm not so suprised at those results, just at the 0% unsure. that is a bit suprising.... at least so far its 0% :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not believe in the ultimate veracity of the Bible. It is a work of humans who have given subjective interpretations of things that may or may not have occured. And then, one must deal with the fact that there are literally hundreds (I've held 17 different ones myself) of different versions of the Bible. And they all say different things to one varying degree or another. So which one of those are true? They all can't be true or the word "truth" would lose any meaning at all. So, in a nutshell, this is why I do not think the Bible is true in any sense of the word. Does this mean that it is useless? Of course not. Meaningless? Of course not.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
And then, one must deal with the fact that there are literally hundreds (I've held 17 different ones myself) of different versions of the Bible. And they all say different things to one varying degree or another. So which one of those are true?

Translations- there are different scholarly interpretations of what was intended in the original text (Hebrew or Greek). These aren't different versions. Also, this is part of the fun of the Bible, understanding what is said in it's original language and how it can be translated in a historical and political context. There's only one different 'version' that I'm aware of and that's the Jehovah's Witnesses 'New World translation'.

The Catholic Bible contains more books than the Protestant one too.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

What say you?

Can I ask a question? why is the poll only for the Bible what about the Book Of God and are you talking new or old version?

Sorry now on to the question No I do not believe the Bible is 100% actualic, people wrote and other interpeted what they believed it to be. But the Book of God is for me and my beliefs. As for my wife the new testiment is right for her and that is fine by me. For my mother it is the old testiment and that is great for her. I believe everybody beliefs 100% of which version they use so can it 100% accuate by the statement above that would means no!
Terry

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Isn't 'The Book of God' simply the Bible written as a novel by Walter Wangerin Jr?

From Publishers Weekly
"This is not the Bible," Wangerin (The Book of the Dun Cow; Miz Lil and the Chronicles of Grace; etc.) says of this newest work. But it is a novel featuring many of the Bible's most dramatic characters.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In reply to some questions:
Jenna said:
I really would hope and yeah, trust! the intention of this poll was honest rather than to be a platform to encourage further polarisation between those who are in the Christian faith and those who are not.
Of course it was honest. I do not wish to increase the gap between faiths, though I do feel that some people who call themselves 'Christians' might need to examine some things more closely.
Kreth said:
Also keep in mind that many books were dropped from the Bible. Why, because of contradictory accounts? The fact that early translations of the Bible were done by the ruling class doesn't vouch well for its accuracy either.
Thank you, Captain Future Conversation. :boing1:
fightingfat said:
I think you may have mis-framed your question here. Would it have been more accurate to say 'do you believe the Bible is the infallible word of God?' because as Gemini said, you can't really apply the term 'truth' to a collection of historical writings in this way.
No, I didnt' misframe my question, I asked it in the format it was for a reason. This question is later in a series of polls I will post. Thanks.
terryl965 said:
Can I ask a question? why is the poll only for the Bible what about the Book Of God and are you talking new or old version?
Because right now this is what I wanted to post the poll on and I did word it according to how I want people to answer the question.
lenatoi said:
Which of the answers do you choose?
I choose no.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because right now this is what I wanted to post the poll on and I did word it according to how I want people to answer the question.

Thanks for the response I hope I did not offend your post Shesulsa, I have always respected you and your threads. I will had off until you get around to the other polls you mention. Good luck with this one.
Terry

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
fightingfat said:
Translations- there are different scholarly interpretations of what was intended in the original text (Hebrew or Greek). These aren't different versions. Also, this is part of the fun of the Bible, understanding what is said in it's original language and how it can be translated in a historical and political context. There's only one different 'version' that I'm aware of and that's the Jehovah's Witnesses 'New World translation'.

The Catholic Bible contains more books than the Protestant one too.

These are more then just translations. They are diffferent versions. Some have completely different books.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
These are more then just translations. They are diffferent versions. Some have completely different books.
That's interesting - I've never seen a Bible with different books included as the officially published Old or New Testament.

The versions I've spent time perusing are the King James Version, American Standard Version, New World Version, and the New International Version. Then also there was a publication in the 70's called 'The Good News' which was a current-day language version of The New Testament. All these versions had the same books.

Which published version has other books?

terryl965 said:
I hope I did not offend your post Shesulsa

Not at all, Terry.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
There aren't. There is a Canon of approved books, an old and a New Testament. The Catholic Bible includes a number of OT books not included in the Protestant version, these are called 'The Deuterocanonicals', other than that the contents do not vary.

Latest Discussions