Is "Tams" a genuine style?

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Green Dragon studios teach a style called "Tams", but I have never heard of it.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a real style?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it Tam Tui? It's a long form consisting of basics repeated down a line, with various versions typically consisting of 10 rows for the Islamic version and 12 for the Buddhist version. It is a form that has been adopted by many systems, and doesn't really "belong" to any specific system. I think I have heard it suggested that it can sort of be considered its own style in a way.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, no characters.

But you can see it listed here (bottom right):
http://www.greendragonkungfu.com/formsindex.asp

Sounds like I am right. They list Tom Toi (Tam/n Tui) under their heading of TAMS. They list a couple of other sets under that heading as well, and I do not know what they are.

It looks like he is grouping these three sets together and claiming they make up a complete style. I've never heard of this. I've only heard of the one form, and never in the context of it "belonging" to a larger system. I've never heard of a distinct TAMS system, outside of the one form.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is a guy in South America who claims to teach a complete Tan Tui system.

Who knows.

For that school, apparently it is now. Regardless of other historic takes on it.

Rob

kdevine

White Belt
Reaction score
Is it Tam Tui? It's a long form consisting of basics repeated down a line, with various versions typically consisting of 10 rows for the Islamic version and 12 for the Buddhist version. It is a form that has been adopted by many systems, and doesn't really "belong" to any specific system. I think I have heard it suggested that it can sort of be considered its own style in a way.

I have studied the Tams Tom Toi (as Green Dragon has is on their website http://www.greendragonkungfu.com) as well as the Din Dah Kuen from Green Dragon Studios. "Tom Toi" is probably related to the Buddhist version that Flying Crane is referring to as it is a 12 step straight line form of exercises. If I recall the history, these are very old forms that don't fit into a system. They seem to be taught across the north and south which makes it difficult to classify.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*oiy*... them again...

Tan Tui (Tam Toi) 12 road is the Chin Woo (Jing Mo) version of the original 10 road Muslim style. It at one time was a stand alone style but became more of a training set for Northern Systems. Tam Toi is strictly a Northern thing. It may be practiced in the South with Northern Systems brought south, but there's not a Southern version of it.

Din Dah I'm guessing based on their terrible translations of everything there is BSL #6, Dun Da.

Latest Discussions